Thread: Worried about oral/throat cancer

Worried about oral/throat cancer

Hi all

Not been on here for a while but this is worrying me sick now and I just need to get it out there in the realm of those who understand where it's coming from!
    Around 2 1/2 weeks ago I was sneezing for a couple of days then developed a sore throat and a mild cough for another couple of days. During this time I started to feel the sensation of my ears being blocked and there was some pain inside the ears, never both sides at the same time. I have had this a few years ago and was told it was Eustachian Tube Dysfunction so I expected it to clear up when my cold/sore throat had gone. Fast forward 10 days or so and I visited the GP having noticed a few white patches on the back wall of my throat. I though it may have been a bit of infection so expected antibiotics but he said it was a virus and that he couldn't see anything (sadly he is the GP at the practice that nobody seems to have faith in). For the next few days the symptoms remained the same with intermittent pain in both ears on and off and the feeling of fullness, a slightly sore throat on the right side but only when swallowing. The swallowing also caused sensation in my ear on that side. Last Saturday I woke with mucus in my throat and went to the bathroom and spat in the sink....panic followed as there was fresh red blood in with the mucus which I think was from the back of my nose - I had to snort slightly to get it out (TMI sorry). A while later but not much calmer I spat saliva from my mouth without coughing and it was pinkish. I went to an out of ours GP who could see nothing to cause the bleeding other than inflammation around my back teeth which looked like it could bleed easily. I do suffer from gum disease and had noticed more bleeding on brushing for last few days. I had no enlarged lymph nodes. He said in his experience oral or throat cancer was unlikely. Said to go back to GP in 2 weeks if no better. I asked if it was true (thanks Dr Google) that oral/throat cancer could cause ear pain but only usually on one side and he said he had never heard that! I didn't recommend he use Google! I poked the said gum later in the day and it DID produce blood and at bedtime I flossed and the same happened. I just find it hard to believe it could be bleeding spontaneously from the gums. I hadnt brushed or anything, literally out of bed and into bathroom to spit.
    Since then I have been checking spit or anything I coughed up but there has been no repeat of the blood. I still have fullness feeling coming ad going in ears and every few swallows I get some discomfort on right side at the back of my tongue. In my HA brain I am picturing a tumour on the base of my tongue or somewhere out of sight. I know there are people on this forum who have HAD cancer and I am sorry to sound paranoid when they have actually been through it. I have a very dry mouth and throat too so swallowing saliva is causing occasional problems, no problems swallowing food or drinks. I am 48 and a smoker and probably in peri-menopause and I read dry mouth can be caused by that. I want to believe it is and that that is also causing the discomfort with my tongue but my brain won't let me settle for that for very long. Due to the Easter break I cannot speak to surgery until Tues about doing me a referral.

Anyone have any similar symptoms in their history or any opinions to share?

Best Wishes and thanks for reading my long post

A x

Re: Worried about oral/throat cancer

You have a perfectly good and plausible reason for what's happening and its in your post. It really is as simple as that.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

You mean that the bleeding is coming from my gums?
    Or that I have a perfectly good reason to be worried?

Hope all is well with you Fishmanpa......You've always been the 'sensible' voice on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by andrea15 View Post
    You mean that the bleeding is coming from my gums?
    Or that I have a perfectly good reason to be worried?

Hope all is well with you Fishmanpa......You've always been the 'sensible' voice on this forum
    If I thought you should be worried, I would have said that The blood could be from your gums, dry sinuses etc. but nothing to be concerned with IMO.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you. That was the anxiety talking on my part

I’ve been the same on and off with a sore throat for weeks and keep getting told viral and there’s lots of nasty ones at the minute which are lasting weeks xx

You've described exactly what I've been going through for weeks now. For me, I think it's allergy related. I'll just get a sore throat for a week or two straight, fullness in my left ear, and pain when I swallow that I feel in my throat and ear. It's all the sinus irritation because it just eventually resolves itself. Sinus issues can cause such a huge range of symptoms and issues, not just the obvious runny nose and headache. The blood is almost certainly from you gums and/or your dried nose. My daughter has allergies too and she has been getting bloody noses all week from being so dried out.

Thread Information