Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm finally having an MRI next week

Re: I'm finally having an MRI next week

Quote Originally Posted by Mostu View Post
    I get what you're all saying, and it's hard for me to put my reasoning in appropriate wording, however I came up with an analogy. Imagine that you want to boil a potato. To boil the potato, you have to peel it first. The same goes for me in terms of curing my HA. The skin of the potato is an analogy for my diseases. I need to make sure I don't have them, get rid of them, before I can proceed to treat the root problem.
    This is a flawed analogy though, Mostu, and I'll tell you why.

A potato can't re-grow its skin, but health anxiety can flare again when you (general you) get a weird twinge or read the wrong article. I know you feel as though you've found a solution, but there's very little chance it won't be temporary.

(Also, I'm quite fond of potatoes boiled with the skin on - just saying )

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    This is a flawed analogy though, Mostu, and I'll tell you why.

A potato can't re-grow its skin, but health anxiety can flare again when you (general you) get a weird twinge or read the wrong article. I know you feel as though you've found a solution, but there's very little chance it won't be temporary.

(Also, I'm quite fond of potatoes boiled with the skin on - just saying )
    Hence why therapists use a flower to show it. Even in therapy if you treat the symptom, or only part of the themes in the anxiety, you strip sway a petal. You still have all the others. A new petal will sprout to replace the one you plucked. Even if you pluck every petal you leave the stalk and petals just regrow.

There may be times where therapists go with a patient having a test if it helps them to then work on the flaws in their thinking up to that cleared test. I suspect that's more in those that they are struggling to get anywhere with and it may or may not achieve anything anyway if they are that deep into their obsessions.

I like a nice potato too! Roast dinner tonight for me

Mostu, I think we can all understand how you may be too overwhelmed to start working on all this right now. We just worry you will lurch from test to test and won't push yourself into recovery after this one. If you can't do it right now, we understand, but please try not to go back to normal life after this test thinking it has resolved itself and look at getting real help to prevent it again in the future. This is learned thinking and it doesn't have to just stay with HA either, especially if it's OCD.

I truly believe that excluding pancreatic cancer with the MRI will be a milestone in my health anxiety. I'll be sure to update the thread when I get the results.
    HA is like grass. You can cut it and if it's dry weather, it'll stay short for a little while. But one good rain and it grows like crazy. This very expensive test may keep the grass short for a little while but there's always going to be rain in the forecast. You need to learn to become your own lawn mower.

In the last year you've "excluded" a brain tumor, skin cancer and colon cancer not to mention several threads that include extreme self examination behaviors and attributing serious physical issues and fears to them. Now you've latched onto another irrational worry with nothing to back it up but your imagination. Perhaps reading your thread history is in order. It illustrates what everyone is saying.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    HA is like grass. You can cut it and if it's dry weather, it'll stay short for a little while. But one good rain and it grows like crazy. This very expensive test may keep the grass short for a little while but there's always going to be rain in the forecast. You need to learn to become your own lawn mower.

In the last year you've "excluded" a brain tumor, skin cancer and colon cancer not to mention several threads that include extreme self examination behaviors and attributing serious physical issues and fears to them. Now you've latched onto another irrational worry with nothing to back it up but your imagination. Perhaps reading your thread history is in order. It illustrates what everyone is saying.

Positive thoughts
    The grass analogy is absolutely perfect.

So your plan is to get an all-clear for all the cancers you’re afraid you might have before dealing with your HA. I see.

Start saving now for all those scans you’ll be getting.

Here’s a list to get you started:

iu-181.jpg
    Last edited by Beachlady; 20-04-19 at 21:16.

Having the MRI in 5 hours. Haven't slept tonight. I'm so stressed... Will update after the scan

Having the MRI in 5 hours. Haven't slept tonight. I'm so stressed... Will update after the scan
    Try and relax the best you can, your stress changes nothing. Let us know how it goes!

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Alright, it's done. Took an hour, was loud and kinda uncomfortable but survived, lol. Now I'm waiting for the results, hope it doesn't take long!

What are you going to do when the results come back clear?

I'll live life more, I'll start working out, I'll stop being such a depressed and complaining person. Honestly it's hard for me to plan that much ahead because I'm almost certain that the results won't be clear...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information