Thread: Not feeling myself after drinking yesterday

Not feeling myself after drinking yesterday

I had a day of drinking with my folks yesterday for Easter and now I feel so depressed and anxious. Is it the alcohol that does that? I take sertraline 50mg so drinking on them night have increased the depression a bit.

Re: Not feeling myself after drinking yesterday

Quote from the NHS website

Can you drink alcohol on antidepressants?

Drinking alcohol while taking antidepressants is generally not advised because alcohol can make depression worse. It can also increase the side effects of some antidepressants, such as drowsiness, dizziness and co-ordination problems.
    The truth is alcohol has a different affect for different people on anti depressants....... some people tolerate it well while others as you are finding out it causes more of a problem and they have to moderate what you drink as it will make their symptoms worse

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I’m a fairly heavy drinker myself and alcohol absolutely leads to anxiety the next day. I don’t drink weekdays and stop by 6p or so on Sundays for this exact reason. Otherwise Monday’s are terrible in terms of anxiety + anxiety physical symptoms. You just have to decide if the fun time is worth the consequences

Alcohol causes your Serotonin to spike so the more you drink the worse that effect. I suspect much of the next day (or few) of anxiety/depression comes from this imbalance needing to naturally corrected.

That and the fact we tend to be more sensitised to things other people aren't and our focussing issue on symptoms.

So, flush yourself with lots of fluids and eat to help your body rebuild your Serotonin levels. Some exercise and fresh air/sunlight might help too. But weather the storm because there isn't much else you can do but all the people on here who struggle with this soon rebound over the next few days. In time, you might find this is less of an issue as it depends on where you anxiety is at in terms of severity, in my opinion, like caffeine or anything else.

I'm a recovering alcoholic. 12 months sober. I had drank on Sertraline many times. It always led to the worst anxiety, headaches and general ill feeling. I say this from experience, but alcohol and anxiety do not mix and cutting alcohol out of your life will dramatically improve the anxiety, health and quality of life in general.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I should note I feel quite tired and weak as well. Can the alcohol do that too when it increases anxiety and depression more?

I thought alcohol was the answer to shifting anxiety but it only made me worse. Now alcohol triggers panic attacks so I've decided its just not worth it.

Best avoided if possible even tho I did enjoy a few cold beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin44 View Post
    I thought alcohol was the answer to shifting anxiety
    And me. That's how I became an alcoholic because I depended on it to feel happy. A very common trap so I'm told.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thread Information