Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: My new baby (crow)

Re: My new baby (crow)

Well spotted Carys! She is greyish underneath- she is actually a hooded crow...
    And as for flying she has been thinking about it for a while - scrutinising distances and trying to pluck up courage. She has taken some downward flights - or controlled falls!! - off tall things to the floor; but today was the first upward flight (to my head!!). I have no idea if this means she will leave home soon.... I will be sad when she does :-(

Do you know, I didn't like to jump to a conclusion that she wasn't a pure black carrion crow.....as obviously you don't tend to see them this young...but her beak looked such a different colour too. A hooded crow! We don't see many , if any of those round our way !

Do you think she will leave home though, or just hang around ? The thing is, our resident breeding garden pair had 4 babies last year, they all stayed with them right through to nest building this year. I've heard that sometimes some juveniles stay on to help with the new babies from the following year.

Ahh this is so lovely! She’s a real beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, look at the size of her! She looks very health, you've done a great job mumsy

I've never seen a hooded crow, I didn't know about them. Beautiful.

Also I love your decorating style!

She's huge, and beautiful! It will be so bittersweet to see her go, but you'll always be able to be proud of what you did, and you'll always wonder when you see one if it's her or not.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by DustingMyselfOff View Post
    She's huge, and beautiful! It will be so bittersweet to see her go, but you'll always be able to be proud of what you did, and you'll always wonder when you see one if it's her or not.
    Sue
    When will she go, Sue? Might she not just live on our farm and say “hi” to us sometimes? I would so love that. She is VERY at home here at the moment. She struts and flys around the whole house, sits on my head while I’m in the bath, keeps me company while I’m gardening (but then follows me back into the house). I wonder if I keep providing food, whether she’ll keep returning (every now and then, at least..). I also worry that she might never know how to be a “proper” crow because she’s been with us since she was a little pinkie with closed eyes....

She's eating on her own, right? Wow, she sits with you outside when you're gardening and doesn't fly off into the nearest tree!?!?!?! Can you move her cage outside so she can get used to the outdoor sights, sounds and fluctuating temperatures of day and night? I did that for a few nights (checking on the bird every couple of hours, and also making sure it had an enclosure in the cage to hide in at night and stay out of any rain) and then the day I decided to open the cage door outside, she hopped to the door, sat on it for a minute looking around, and then flew to a nearby tree. We have lots of trees in the back yard so I lost sight of her after about 5 minutes, but I was thrilled that she was out being a bird.

The fact that yours stays with you outside is a little concerning, unless you want a lifetime indoor crow for a pet?
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by DustingMyselfOff View Post
    She's eating on her own, right? Wow, she sits with you outside when you're gardening and doesn't fly off into the nearest tree!?!?!?! Can you move her cage outside so she can get used to the outdoor sights, sounds and fluctuating temperatures of day and night? I did that for a few nights (checking on the bird every couple of hours, and also making sure it had an enclosure in the cage to hide in at night and stay out of any rain) and then the day I decided to open the cage door outside, she hopped to the door, sat on it for a minute looking around, and then flew to a nearby tree. We have lots of trees in the back yard so I lost sight of her after about 5 minutes, but I was thrilled that she was out being a bird.

The fact that yours stays with you outside is a little concerning, unless you want a lifetime indoor crow for a pet?

Sue
    She has no cage Sue. She is loose in the house (roosts on the top of the kitchen cupboard). And during the day she has the run of the house and has access to outside too (the weather is nice so doors are open). But she is not feeding herself
    yet. She flys well and pecks at interesting things but still wants her main food to be put in her beak...

I think she'll be coming with you on your Summer hols, Jojo...."Weaning" her may be hard because she sees you as her Mummy!

I agree with Pulisa. I am clueless as to what you should do from here because I had no idea that she was spending so much time with you and allowed to bond with you. It's too late now, but the main goal of rehabilitation is to not let them see you as their "mom" and develop their independence so that they can survive in the wild with other animals. You could try contacting a rehabilitator to see if they have any advice but I think you may have yourself a long-term pet.
    Sue

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread Information