Thread: Anxiety still here.. 7 weeks on from starting cit

Anxiety still here.. 7 weeks on from starting cit

I've been on citalopram for approx 7 weeks. And although my anxiety is lessened I'm still having the catastrophic thoughts about illness. I've fixated on bowel cancer now because my mum had it 15 years ago and everywhere I look it's mentioned. I've been put on iron tablets as my iron was low after I requested a blood test for thyroid problems (before I was given cit) so my bowel movements are very dark and can sometimes be loose. I was also diagnosed with IBS about 9years ago. However I am convinced I have BC. I have a pain=ache in my back which I read is a sign, my obvious toilet habits have changed and I can feel.myself starting to panic again. If it was anxiety then surely my citalopram would be working by now. So does that not mean that all these symptoms are the actual thing.

Re: Anxiety still here.. 7 weeks on from starting cit

Have you been receiving any talking therapies, CBT or the like?

No nothing yet. I have had CBT in the past. I don't know which way to go at the moment. I do feel better than 7 weeks ago but I thought I was past catastrophising all the time and I'm not....or I'm actually ill this time.

Everybody has blips - heck, I'm in the middle of one right now. Don't beat yourself up over it, but it's definitely worth either investigating counselling or looking at the great self-help resources on the site here.

Don't worry. It took just slightly over twelve weeks before I felt any benefit from Citalopram. We all react differently to the drug. It's just your mind playing nasty tricks on you. Just ignore it. You should start to feel better very soon if you stick with the programme.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Everybody has blips - heck, I'm in the middle of one right now. Don't beat yourself up over it, but it's definitely worth either investigating counselling or looking at the great self-help resources on the site here.
    Could not agree more with this. Blips are totally normal, even for non anxiety sufferers. Keep working on that overall positive trend and things will work themselves out.

Thank you everyone. I think I'm just expecting dramatic results but need to appreciate that it took years to get into this state so will take a while to start feeling more normal again. I just thought I'd turned a corner but maybe it was just a slight bend in the very long road.

Thread Information