Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirty laundry germs

Dirty laundry germs

My mum visited my house after putting a dirty wash in she never washed her hands and she then came over and touched my table and sofa so I have been worried. I don’t worry about the germs too much it’s perfectionsim and I worry the items are spoiled now. I used an anti bacterial wipe but still worry it’s hard to control what people touch as they enter your house?

Re: Dirty laundry germs

Relinquishing control is part of recovering from your OCD, Phil. This is what you need to work on, rather than trying to force the people around you to meet your unrealistic standards.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Relinquishing control is part of recovering from your OCD, Phil. This is what you need to work on, rather than trying to force the people around you to meet your unrealistic standards.
    How might I do that? Would others not worry about dirty laundry germs?

No. There are plenty of people out there who don't think dirty laundry germs are a thing. I mean, I wash my hands more than most people I know, but I couldn't honestly tell you whether or not I do after handling unwashed laundry.

Coming at it from a non-germophobic view, these clothes have only been on our bodies and been where we've been - it's not as though we've been rolling in manure or anything. Not belittling your experience here, just explaining how others might see things.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    How might I do that? Would others not worry about dirty laundry germs?
    Real life professional help.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

The last time this happened my partner touched my suitcase then my bag and I sold my iPad and camera I had to rebuy and I kept the headphones but they are in quarantine. Now she touched the table and I worry about the handles I mean I used anti bacterial wipes but through out my condition she only replacing items have solved the issue my urge is to get rid of the table. She touched the sofa too but I turned the cushions round. I am annoyed as 90% of my germs issues are false thoughts but 10% are ones that actually happen.

I can’t get my head round someone doing a dirty wash and then not washing hands the biggest issue is she touched my stuff. This could have happened in the past I have no idea where her hands have been but the issue is when I see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    the biggest issue is she touched my stuff. This could have happened in the past I have no idea where her hands have been but the issue is when I see it happen.
    I know you don't want to hear this, Phil, but you're planning on spending the rest of your life sharing living space with this person. This is why you need to start seriously working towards recovering from your illness.

I know you don't want to hear this, Phil, but you're planning on spending the rest of your life sharing living space with this person. This is why you need to start seriously working towards recovering from your illness.
    Yes I mean it may not bother my partner dirty washing germs but for me I am to afraid to touch the handle without washing my hands due to this ocd.

So this is something you need to work at, and soon. I understand you have difficulties accessing therapy because of your location, but have you tried any self-help or online mindfulness courses?

So this is something you need to work at, and soon. I understand you have difficulties accessing therapy because of your location, but have you tried any self-help or online mindfulness courses?
    No not tried that but it can’t stop the thoughts can it?

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information