Thread: Mirtazapine 15mg 2.5 weeks in- way increased anxiety and vision problems

Mirtazapine 15mg 2.5 weeks in- way increased anxiety and vision problems

Hi
    Is mirtazapine really any good for anxiety?? - I'm 2.5 weeks in, it has lifted depression and mood somewhat (improved motivation- in fact I'm finding it way too stimulating some days- have done more jobs around the garden in a few days that would normally take me months) but anxiety some days is absolutely through the roof!!! Tingling head and body and feelings like Im going to explode- guess it's the adrenalin. This drug appears to be a roller cooater ride and very stimulating for me

Years back I took amitriptyline (up to about 20mg) and it was a much gentler ride to get on, no heightened anxiety, better sleep, more calming

My question is as it' early on do I stick at it (Yip I know its 4-6 weeks approx. to stabilise) or discuss dropping to say 7.5mg or 11.25mg. or add in some amitriptyline- which is incidentally what I was told to come off a couple of years ago as I have long QT syndrome but Mirt has put the QT back to where it was on the ami so it's all been for nothing- I'm very annoyed

the Mirt is messing my vision up too- blurry at a distance, precription glasses no longer working, not to mention the stiff legs and stinging nerves in my neck, back and legs, oh and the tinnitus...

Any advce appreciated

Re: Mirtazapine 15mg 2.5 weeks in- way increased anxiety and vision problems

It’s a tough call for anyone else but yourself to make. Clearly if the side effects are intolerable, then it’s time to revisit your GP to discuss a way forward.

I’m of the opinion that you should stick to whatever medication the GP has decided might be the best option for you. Some of these medications take several weeks, if not months, to become wholly effective. Chopping and changing does not, to me, seem like a clear way ahead. So stick with it if you can. If you can’t, then my first paragraph refers.

I have been on 15mg of Mirtazapine daily for 11 days. About two hours after I take the tablet I start to feel very drowsy, but, paradoxically, restless and agitated. This lasts for around two hours, then fades, just leaving me drowsy. I then sleep fitfully through the night, with some extremely vivid and interesting dreams. The initial ‘stunned mullet’ feelings that I experienced in the first few days of taking Mirtazapine have now faded. So we all react differently to the drug.

I have no idea, at present, how long my GP will suggest that I stay on this drug. I see him again on 13 May, but I intend to persist until it either works or doesn’t.

Re: Mirtazapine 15mg 2.5 weeks in- way increased anxiety and vision problems

I would say stick with it, give it time. Took me about 12 weeks before I started to feel better and anxiety dropped, it never went but was managable. Its only now when im coming off I realized just how well it did work for me.

Thread Information