Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who have acid reflux

Question Question for those who have acid reflux

This isn’t an HA issue, but a question about medicine.

I have acid reflux and was curious about meds that other acid reflux sufferers take and/or would recommend. My acid reflux is the “silent” kind--only rarely do I get heartburn (and I mean twice in my life) but I have a cough, lots of phlegm in the morning (sorry if this is TMI) and throat clearing.

I’ve had a flareup recently and am taking Zantac at night. I’ve never taken it long term and I’ve never tried PPI’s.

Any experts out there who would care to share their experience with reflux and meds that work for them, especially in the long term?

Thanks!

Re: Question for those who have acid reflux

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlady View Post
    This isn’t an HA issue, but a question about medicine.

I have acid reflux and was curious about meds that other acid reflux sufferers take and/or would recommend. My acid reflux is the “silent” kind--only rarely do I get heartburn (and I mean twice in my life) but I have a cough, lots of phlegm in the morning (sorry if this is TMI) and throat clearing.

I’ve had a flareup recently and am taking Zantac at night. I’ve never taken it long term and I’ve never tried PPI’s.

Any experts out there who would care to share their experience with reflux and meds that work for them, especially in the long term?

Thanks!
    I’ve had great success with Prevacid. It’s my understanding that Zantac and the like don’t really work for LPR reflux.

My son has great relief from Nexium.

My wife and I both take Pantoprazole. We've been on it for years. It does the job but we still follow the FODMAP diet. We kept a food diary for a couple of months and made note of foods that aggravated things. Sadly, that means strictly limiting or eliminating some foods we love (pizza etc.). We still indulge occasionally and pay the price but sometimes its worth it

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks AMoment. I read about Prevacid. I’m having good results from Zantac, but that isn’t to say it will continue working.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    My son has great relief from Nexium.
    I saw Nexium at the drug store and wondered about it. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    My wife and I both take Pantoprazole. We've been on it for years. It does the job but we still follow the FODMAP diet. We kept a food diary for a couple of months and made note of foods that aggravated things. Sadly, that means strictly limiting or eliminating some foods we love (pizza etc.). We still indulge occasionally and pay the price but sometimes its worth it

Positive thoughts
    Pantoprazole may be down the line for me and I’ll keep it in mind. I’m hoping I can control it with an OTC. This is a recent problem and I’m hoping it won’t be a permanent thing. I’ll have to look into the FODMAP, thanks.

Omeprazole (nexium) helped me more than Zantac. Also I always keep some gaviscon handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlady View Post
    Pantoprazole may be down the line for me and I’ll keep it in mind. I’m hoping I can control it with an OTC. This is a recent problem and I’m hoping it won’t be a permanent thing. I’ll have to look into the FODMAP, thanks.
    We were taking OTCs and supplementing with Mylanta as needed (we still do when we eat something we shouldn't... damn that pizza! ). Unfortunately, my wife and I have heavy duty Reflux which called for a heavy duty PPI. Most of the OTC PPIs are effective though. After all, they all were prescription meds at one time. Give it a shot and definitely look at the FODMAP list of foods. Keep in mind, they take a week or so to kick in.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    We were taking OTCs and supplementing with Mylanta as needed (we still do when we eat something we shouldn't... damn that pizza! ). Unfortunately, my wife and I have heavy duty Reflux which called for a heavy duty PPI. Most of the OTC PPIs are effective though. After all, they all were prescription meds at one time. Give it a shot and definitely look at the FODMAP list of foods. Keep in mind, they take a week or so to kick in.

Positive thoughts
    Yup, I think I’ll try the OTC’s (many of which, like you said, were scripts anyway) and see where that takes me.

My brother-in-law, who had terrible acid reflux, also told me about eating celery--which so happens to be on the FODMAP list as well. Guess I’m off grocery shopping!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information