Thread: Pain in hands and elbows, lots of anxiety

Pain in hands and elbows, lots of anxiety

Hi, for a few weeks ive had random cramp and shooting pains in my hands wrists and forearms, also my elbows ache from time to time. My thumb muscle aches on my right hand and the thumb and forefinger are a little weak. I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he said my ulnar nerves (the funny bone nerve) are out of place or a little mobile or something like that. Which would make sense because they feel sensitive or inflamed kind of. The days following the appointment are when my fingers started feeling weak. The reason i have so much anxiety over this, isn't because i fear some awful disease, but because i am a musician and drums and guitar are the most important things in my life. I could not live without them. I have a good friend who had similar symptoms that developed further and never went away, he hasnt been able to play bass in multiple years since it started..he also cant work. The doctor said to not do anything not even stretch and that it would go away. and if not there is a surgery they can do. i am terrified of the surgery because i fear having permanently impaired hands. i fear that the problem is elsewhere and has to do with my back or neck, or will never be diagnosed/be permanent. The guy barely looked at my elbows/did no tests and this was before the hand weakness, i worry that i will develop/have already developed nerve damage.

Re: Pain in hands and elbows, lots of anxiety

I really feel for you with this issue, its not your standard HA fear thing going on.....you have clearly caused some injury from something you enjoy, and the thought of not being able to do that feels terrifying. I literally know nothing about the (presumably repetitive strain, associated with the instruments you play) injury, but I just wanted to say that at the moment you are fearing the worst and focusing on the worst case you know of. I would think that in future, if and when you are healed, then you will need to research ways to ensure it doesn't flare up again. In the meantime, is the only advice you've been given not to use the area as much as possible? If I was you I'd be looking for someone who has dealt with this in musicians for some far more specific advice, does such a thing exist as a physio who deals with repetitive strain in musicians? I don't know.....I'm just throwing that out there as finding really appropriate advice and help now is clearly critical for you. Also I am bumping this thread up incase it rings a bell with anyone....

I'm a professional musician (guitar). I damaged my ulner nerve in my right arm many, many years ago after a fall. I had the same issues. Tingling in my fingers, weakness and pain etc. It was a good 6 months+ before it healed but it eventually did. Patience and physical therapy helped. Speak to your doctor about it and what you can do to promote healing.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

There we go.......the 'ringing bells with someone' ^

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    There we go.......the 'ringing bells with someone' ^
    Are you retying the knot or have you taken on campanology, Carys?

Never Surrender, Comrade

Its NEVER too early to start practicing for Christmas KK77!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I'm a professional musician (guitar). I damaged my ulner nerve in my right arm many, many years ago after a fall. I had the same issues. Tingling in my fingers, weakness and pain etc. It was a good 6 months+ before it healed but it eventually did. Patience and physical therapy helped. Speak to your doctor about it and what you can do to promote healing.

Positive thoughts
    Dang 6 months... thanks for sharing. Actually playing guitar doesn’t seem to make it worse,it actually seems to feel better after. I read that nerve damage can take days to months to heal, that said, the ortho thought they’re out of place and not damaged.... so confused and worried. Also, it didn’t occur from playing or from repetitive motion, I believe it was from popping my elbow joints awkwardly (recent bad habit that I have stopped)

Thread Information