Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tramadol for anxiety relief

Tramadol for anxiety relief

I expect most of you have heard of this drug. It's a synthetic opiate painkiller. It also happens to be a potent SNRI anti-depressant. The problem is that it's addictive and used in high doses for recreational use. can't imagine any doctor prescribing for psychiatric use, especially as it can cause serotonin syndrome.

Anyway, I wasn't aware of any of this when I took for leg cramps side effects from quetiapine an antipsychotic. Not only did it stop the cramps, it gave me relief from debilitating anxiety for the whole day.

I now take 4 x 50mg tablets once every three days. The effect is not as good as when I started doing it three months ago but it still works ok and I don't have cravings for it on the next two days. Constipation is the main side effect.

I am certainly not recommending it's use here. I'm just curious to know whether anyone else uses it in this way.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Tramadol for anxiety relief

Tramadol is a beastly drug. I wouldn't recommend it because it definitely affects mood (ie, produces a "buzz") along with pain levels, making it very addictive and difficult to discontinue. It also significantly decreases seizure threshold.

Venlafaxine is chemically related to tramadol, and although not classed as a painkilling med, it also possesses an affinity for opioid receptors (along with its SNRI action) and acts partly by increasing pain threshold. I know because I take it for chronic pain and depression.

I would urge you to speak to your doc about switching to venlafaxine if you cannot withdraw from tramadol, otherwise you're on a very slippery slope.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I think your sentence...." the effect is not as good as when I started doing it three months ago"....should be a warning shot. Are you already building up a tolerance that will mean increased dosage at some point?

Ghost…Spillways

Before I joined this forum I was warned to expect negativity, rudeness and people pretending to know more than they do. ***admin removed content***

Believe it or not, my psychiatrist who I see on a monthly basis OKed my use of Tramadol this way. A friend is taking it for microfibryosis and it really helps. But she knows the dangers of addiction and uses sparingly.

The term "beastly drug" is a classic. The last time I heard it used was in connection with pregabalin and benzos. Any drug ending in -am or -in is beastly apparently. You can point to all the cases of people they have harmed but there are also others whose lives have been saved by these beastly drugs.

Actually, I think all drugs are beastly
    Last edited by venusbluejeans; 29-04-19 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Aho View Post
    Before I joined this forum I was warned to expect negativity, rudeness and people pretending to know more than they do. ***admin removed content***

Believe it or not, my psychiatrist who I see on a monthly basis OKed my use of Tramadol this way. A friend is taking it for microfibryosis and it really helps. But she knows the dangers of addiction and uses sparingly.

The term "beastly drug" is a classic. The last time I heard it used was in connection with pregabalin and benzos. Any drug ending in -am or -in is beastly apparently. You can point to all the cases of people they have harmed but there are also others whose lives have been saved by these beastly drugs.

You asked for people’s experience and you were given it. If you ask for experiences you will be given them, and some may be negative. I think you were given good, helpful advice.
    Perhaps speak to the prescriber about how it’s not helping you as much as it did? They should be able to help you on an individual level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by venusbluejeans; 29-04-19 at 10:30.

Did you really just call a forum member a white supremacist because they said something you didn't want to hear? Maybe you shouldn't be accusing others of negativity and rudeness.

For what it's worth, I agree that the fact that a medication renowned for causing addiction issues is no longer as effective as it was a few months previously is a serious cause for concern.
    Last edited by venusbluejeans; 29-04-19 at 10:31.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

In what way was I rude to you? I gave you an honest opinion and an alternative to the drug in question. I was actually trying to help you

To insult me calling me "***admin removed content***" would be stupid but funny if it wasn't for its inflammatory nature. It also appears you have come here with an agenda. Why did you join if you were warned against this forum? And by whom?

YOU are the one being rude and juvenile, not to mention highly offensive. So sling your hook back to the rock you crawled out from pfft.
    Last edited by venusbluejeans; 29-04-19 at 10:32.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I have removed the reference but leaving the thread here.

Forums are here so you can get a spectrum of advice, not just the bits you want to hear, you cannot insult people just because the advice is not what you want to hear.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

There are threads. This one sprung to mind:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...light=tramadol

But it's not one talked about much and it's unlikely many have tried it.

You have been given good advice and not in any way how you seemed to have interpreted it. I wonder what poor advice you have been given about this forum and where from? The comment removed is obviously nonsense and hopefully you will apologise for it.

We certainly aren't going to be pro a highly addictive med for a long term condition like anxiety disorders unless it's a last resort as it's just the same as the lessons learnt by the medical profession over benzos. They have their place in those nothing can work for, under a psychiatrist, but in the past have caused large amounts of harm to people by their liberal prescribing and hence why medical systems have taken actions to prevent that. To open this door to Tramadol would be ignoring past lessons. It would also be a strange direction given the anti Pregabalin campaigning by the medical community and their aversion to introducing medicinal cannabis.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 29-04-19 at 17:00. Reason: Typo

😂

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information