Thread: My Doc gave me antacids - help

My Doc gave me antacids - help

Hi all,

i have been suffering from what I think are panic attacks for about 2 months.
    Typically i get chest pains, light headednss , fast beating heart etc, it has started to be more frequent etc. The fist attack I had sent me to AE thinking I was having a heart attack. I was given an OK after and ECG and given Gaviscon.

Since these incidents have been getting worse and more frequent I went to my doc today and explained the symptoms though didn't mention panic attacks, just described the pains and anxiety etc. He measured my blood pressure which was very high indeed. He sent me away with a prescription for tablets that lower my stomach acid saying excess acid can set of this "episode" - I have always had bad indigestion, but nothing like the pain i get daily now from my chest.

He also wants to measure my cholesterol etc on Friday. He said if the antacids dint work I may go to the hospital for more tests.

Any thoughts / help or similar experience?

I'm 29 year old chap btw,

cheer

Paul

Re: My Doc gave me antacids - help

Hi Paul!

I have had a somwhat simmilar experience 6 years ago, when I had my firts panic attack. I was 14 at the time and told my doctor that I felt depersonalized and as if about to die. She told me to have a brain scan. It proved ok, but didn't explain why I was feeling so horrible.
    It was only when I spent a few days hiding in my room, afraid of having another panic attack, that my mum called a pschiatrist, that I got my diagnosis.

I think you should tell your doctor about your panic attacks, because if you don't, he'll keep on going in the wrong direction trying to figure out what's wrong with your physical health.

Being your doctor, he should know what is really going on and he can't know that unless you tell him, and therefore he can't help you.

Please, tell him about your panic attacks. You will feel a lot better, trust me!

Good luck!!!

Ana

Sounds pretty much what I've been through in the last 4 months. 'Heart attack' symptoms (I had an ecg in an ambulance) more tests and antacids. I'm on beta blockers now they have helped me, they seem to stop the anxiety pains in the chest turning into full blown 'omg I'm having a heart attack' panic symptoms.

There's a connection between high bp and panic attacks, but no one knows which came first. I have high bp, and had panic attacks for about six months. The bp is under control now, haven't had a panic attack since Feb, but still have other anxiety symptoms from time to time. Talk to your doc about getting your bp down, and maybe some other tests to see if there is another cause for the symptoms.

Thread Information