Thread: Slow start Sertraline

Slow start Sertraline

Is there any logic in starting on Sertraline on say 25g for a week the upping it to 50g for 2nd week? Has anyone done this? Does it give less side effects?
    Not having a good start, only day two, but big panic attacks 😔 Keep telling myself it will pass and breathing deeply...

Re: Slow start Sertraline

Sertraline worked really well for me. only down side it can take up to 2 months to kick in. Im sure it will kick in alot sooner for you. just hang in there it work for me

Quote Originally Posted by bazwelsh View Post
    Is there any logic in starting on Sertraline on say 25g for a week the upping it to 50g for 2nd week? Has anyone done this? Does it give less side effects?
    Not having a good start, only day two, but big panic attacks  Keep telling myself it will pass and breathing deeply...
    That's how I started and it took 6 weeks to kick in.
    The worst part was being dead tired but not being able to sleep.
    I changed over to 10mg Lexapro and found it much better for me.
    Everyone is different so you really won't know how it will affect you until you're on it.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thanks folks. I’m happy going onto it slower if the side effects are less. I’ve got a big event coming up in two weeks and I’m a bit beside myself with the enormity of how it feels it’s going to be. I’m sure when I’m there at the time I’ll be ok 🤞 and, although i’ve been feeling anxious, I’ve decided to go back on Sertraline, and now I’m having full on panic attacks that I’m assuming are the side effects of the chemical change. I’m concerned these won’t die down in time and it’s going to be a problem in two weeks time. So I was thinking if I had half the starting dose, these effects would be less and then I can cope better.
    I love and really appreciate these forums and that people are so understanding. They keep me going when I can see it’s not just me that has these horrendous feeling. You just want them to go away....😔
    Thanks again
    Gaynor

The anticipation is always worse than the event for me.
    I'm sure you'll be fine.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I was started on 50mg to go up to 100mg in 2 weeks. Side effects are ok, and the worst ones go away after 2 weeks for me, but the lingering side effect is tiredness. I get a full nights sleep then wake up feeling like I haven't slept. I'll usually need to nap around 10am until 12 and then I'm ok until bedtime. Always happens with sertraline.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I started on 25mg and went up to 50mg after a couple weeks. A couple weeks later I was definitely feeling the benefits. I am sure that you will too, just keep after it.

Thread Information