Thread: Scared of testicular cancer

Scared of testicular cancer

Hello all,

So I posted a couple of months ago because I was concerned about a lump on my boyfriend's testicle. I have finally convinced him to go to the doctors and after over two months of persistent reminding, he has an appointment this afternoon.

It is a very very small lump, on his lower right testicle. It has not changed in size at all and the rest of the testicle feels normal and like his left one.You cannot even feel the lump if you were to grab or hold the testicle, but really have to look for it. I have read a lot on Google (which I know as a hypochondriac , I shouldn't) and actually found out that testicular cancer is the rarest cause of a lump in the testicles and even if it was, that it was highly curable, even in later stages. This eased some worries as I feel it probably is not as aggressive as other forms of cancer, but I am of course still very scared and it is not something I want him to go through, because I don't know how he would handle it.

My main worry is that it does not sound like some of the other possible conditions. I read that epididymal cysts are quite common - but don't these just occur on the top of the testicle? And also, I read that varioceles are usually always on the left or both testicles, so even that appears ruled out. Is it still possible for this to be a benign condition?

My biggest worry was if it was cancerous, if it had spread. However, it is tiny and has not changed in size at all in the course of a year or so apparently. Obviously I would love for him to come back and tell me that there was nothing to worry about, but I know most likely they may refer him to a scan, either because they suspect something or as a precautionary measure. That is something I would seriously struggle with and my anxiety would be through the roof. Obviously I am nervous about today but I guess I'm trying to remain calm because we will either know its nothing or need another appointment for further examination.

I would just really like to know if anyone has experienced a testicular cancer scare/ lumps? If so where were they and what were they? Even any comforting advice would be helpful, I am one worried girlfriend and my health anxiety is not helping this situation at all!

Thanks
    x

Re: Scared of testicular cancer

I had testicle cancer. My testicle was as hard as a rock.

I don't want to sound mean, but you need to put your boyfriend first here. Your worry is most definitely not helping his. If my partner was this worried about my testicle she'd have caused me sever panic attacks and depression for me. I'd have asked her to stop, and probably even told her to stay at home when I go for tests. I really hope you're not showing this worry to your boyfriend

At this present moment in time nobody has told him Cancer. He does not have a Cancer diagnosis. So right now you can't really worry about something that hasn't been told.

The tests are simple. And FWIW testicle cancer is currently the most curable form of cancer you can have. It has the highest cure rate, even if diagnosed late stage. My friend had late stage testicle cancer. He's still with us 10 year later and doing well. His spread, mine didn't. He had real symptoms that you'd know about if it had spread.

I think your worry is misplaced. Relax

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Scared of testicular cancer

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I had testicle cancer. My testicle was as hard as a rock.

I don't want to sound mean, but you need to put your boyfriend first here. Your worry is most definitely not helping his. If my partner was this worried about my testicle she'd have caused me sever panic attacks and depression for me. I'd have asked her to stop, and probably even told her to stay at home when I go for tests. I really hope you're not showing this worry to your boyfriend

At this present moment in time nobody has told him Cancer. He does not have a Cancer diagnosis. So right now you can't really worry about something that hasn't been told.

The tests are simple. And FWIW testicle cancer is currently the most curable form of cancer you can have. It has the highest cure rate, even if diagnosed late stage. My friend had late stage testicle cancer. He's still with us 10 year later and doing well. His spread, mine didn't. He had real symptoms that you'd know about if it had spread.

I think your worry is misplaced. Relax

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Firstly, maybe you just read that wrong or I did not write it correctly, but I am putting my boyfriend 100% first here. That is why I find myself as worried as I am because I care more about him than me. And secondly, all of my anxieties I have kept to myself as I usually do and have even reassured him that he will be fine. But, I did persist that he went to the doctors because that was the only way to know and it is important he goes rather than ignoring it. He does not appear that worried and has been pretty calm about the whole thing if I am honest, which is a good thing in way but it did require a little push to get him to decide to be checked out.

Also, sorry you and your friend had been diagnosed with TC, but I am glad to hear you both beat it, and I am aware that the cure rate is high, which does ease some of my anxieties. I do struggle with health anxiety to the point where it leads to depression, but I do usually keep these anxieties to myself because I do not like to worry other people. That's why I find these forums helpful.

You're right in that I shouldn't be worried when nothing has been confirmed. I am trying, but as anyone with health anxiety will tell you, your mind races to the worst case scenarios.

Thanks anyway

Thread Information