Thread: Hear me out: rabies hypochondria

Hear me out: rabies hypochondria

I haven't really told anyone about my current situation regarding my worsening health anxiety, but people from NMP please do hear me out (and sorry if my english isn't that great):
    So if anyone has noticed over my past threads: I have been suffering from terrible hyopochondria, specifically rabies, for almost a year now and it has taken a toll on my mental and physical health. The fear was really something, because I began having false memories and trust issues ever since my HA worsen just this year.

Whenever I would go out, I would always look for stray dogs/cats and even bats cuz I really wanna be cautious and try my best to not get near them. However whenever I feel an unknown brush or sensation from something/someone, I'd automatically assume that a stray animal brushed past against or licked me, and I'd start freaking out that "what if I have a super tiny wound on my hand/leg/whatever you name it and the saliva got in it"... I also tend to have false memories and I'd think that famous question: "what if..?"

We also have an unvaccinated dog at home and she really likes to playfully bite people. I know she should be vaccinated already, but money is scarce for us at the moment because of family matters. So whenever I would go out of the house, I'd run away from our dog because she really likes to nip and bite, and whenever I do get bit or licked.. I have the tendency to vigorously wash the area everytime (which I think is OCD based from what I found from the net).

The reason why I also developed trust issues was how whenever I will eat food, or was offered food by another person, I often refuse and if I did ate the food, I'd get worried that "what if a stray animal licked or drooled on the food and the person who offered me the food didn't know and I accidentally ate it without knowing as well?".

I know my hypochondria has reached a terrible level, so I hope anyone can help me give advice or tips on how to overcome or cope this anxiety of mine. I really sound silly right now, but I wish being a hypochondriac was a silly and non-sensical matter as well (which is not btw).

Re: Hear me out: rabies hypochondria

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Regards

Elen Admin

ps you have had a number of threads involving this concern, perhaps re-reading some of them may help you.

thanks

however i really do need a specific advise regarding my own case

Are you receiving any professional help for your mental health issues right now?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Are you receiving any professional help for your mental health issues right now?
    no
    as much asi i want to, i couldn't afford a psychiatric help

It might be worth checking out some of the free resources on the site. If you work hard at following them, they should help at least a little.

It might be worth checking out some of the free resources on the site. If you work hard at following them, they should help at least a little.
    I know there are alot of similar other threads here in NMP, but the thing they're common with is the fact that most of those users are from either US or UK (which are developed countries)
    I'm constantly worried about rabies because I live in the Philippines, which is a developing 3rd world country and of course, rabies is still unfortunately common in this country.. unlike the others here

I just really need some advice on how to handle this health anxiety, cuz it's really been ruining me for months

FREE CBT

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I can understand that it's scary for you, being that rabies is more common in the country you live in, but understand that this doesn't change that the situations you're describing are still anxiety thoughts and still extremely improbable regardless of where you live. I would definitely check out the CBT link that Fishmanpa linked, they really do help a lot and I still fall back on CBT techniques when my rabies anxiety flares up, I had a rabies anxiety flare up a few weeks ago and with those types of techniques I didn't even feel the need to make a thread here about it, but please know its okay to talk here too if you need to, but definitely those links are a great step to take!

Thread Information