Thread: Antiobiotics and IBS

Antiobiotics and IBS

I just messed up my entire antibiotic treatment due to my fear of it flaring up my iBS. In November 2017 I took trimethroprim for a UTI and december my stomach was in flames until May/june. Im scared the stuff I'm on now will do the same so stupidly havent been taking it. I had a very stupid incident on Tuesday (its sunday now) where I tried to pull my nail bed down to remove some pus from a fingernail infection..though it did release the infection a little, Ive damaged alot of skin and my nail bed. I did this so that I could see if it would heal the next day before I started the meds -it didnt. Im sat here almost one week with improvement but i still seemingly have a finger blister which is painful and I've taken ONE dose each day for 3 days and dont know if they'll start me again on new ones.

Has anyone had any iBS issues with flucloxacillin ?

Re: Antiobiotics and IBS

Just wondering if you are following advice on taking with food etc, as I have IBS and having taken trimethoprim twice, have found it has no effect on my stomach. I might just be lucky, but it is possible that your fear and anxiety about the meds triggers the stomach reactions. ANyway, I see this post is a few days ago - so wondering if you have started taking it or not ?

hey Carys - I cant remember what day I wrote that but I had to stop around the third dose as it really did make my stomach angry :/

I got given an alternative antibiotic but its a topical cream and amazingly and thankfully working a treat, thanks for your advice though, I also took Trimethroprim and was fine weirdly but i did take it with food (this one was strictly WITHOUT which made me suspicious)

Yeah some are to take without food, some with.....they work in different ways more effectively. Glad your trimethoprim worked, I've only had a few antib's in my life, but this one was the only one that literally had no stomach effect.

Thread Information