Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upset stomach for weeks

Re: Upset stomach for weeks

Quote Originally Posted by shotta287 View Post
    Very anxious about bowel cancer now. I had a pretty normal bowel movement yesterday but today initially I had to strain to let out hard pebble like stools almost. Then after a short while of more straining, the rest of the stools were mushy and soft.

What could this mean?
    It means you likely experienced constipation, can very easily be due to lack of good fibre or not enough water etc. Inactivity can also add in.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thank you for the kind words Mouse.

I’ve been very inactive for the past week or so and taking a lot of painkillers and decongestant tablets due to the flu.

I still can’t get the worry of my stomach out of my mind though. Since the end of April I’ve been like this.

Did the stupid thing of reading up about bowel cancer and how it can affect younger people too (I’m 25).

I’ve been trying to keep a calm head and telling myself that although my stools are a little on the soft side, it isn’t diarrhoea and I pretty consistently have bowel movements once per day. Yet to see any blood either. I did experience nausea but that has subsided over the past two weeks.

But what fuels my anxiety is that since I had that takeway meal 2 months back, I’ve had cramping at times, gas and just don’t feel hungry as much. If I try to eat a large, fatty meal, I just about finish it but end up being bloated after.

My weight tends to hover around 67kg (I find it very difficult to gain weight always have unless I hit the gym and train muscles). I weighed myself earlier this week after quite a while and I’m at 65/66kg. I definitely feel skinner too.

Had a pretty normal bowel movement earlier, well formed (sorry if TMI) but I’m now worried again as although stool was mostly light brown, there were also dark patches.

Obviously I’m thinking that’s now blood from somewhere upper in the system.

Nope, it really isn't, it doesn't work like that.

Had a pretty normal bowel movement earlier, well formed (sorry if TMI) but I’m now worried again as although stool was mostly light brown, there were also dark patches.

Obviously I’m thinking that’s now blood from somewhere upper in the system.
    Nope, just different foods. Nothing to worry about.

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

Thank you for the reassurance ^

So, after two days or so of me being relatively less anxious, I’m worried again! Had a bowel movement today, the stools were kind of well formed, bit on the soft side but came out very quickly (apologies for the TMI). Seemed to be sticky too.

I’m on my 4th day of antibiotics now for a suspected sinus infection but I just can’t help but worry my jumpy stomach is something sinister.

The only thing that is keeping me away from going to my doctor (again) is that I don’t have any red flag symptoms as in actual diarrhoea multiple times a day (in fact my bowel movements are pretty consistent same time once per day) and no blood.

So, almost a month later and I am still worried. Waiting on the blood test results, another week to go I think.

I think my hunger is mainly being suppressed by my constant anxiety and worry. I’m averaging I reckon almost 2000 calories per day but I dare not check my weight just yet. My trousers feel a little looser so I know I’ve lost weight.

I don’t know what it is that is fuelling my worry. Maybe it’s the whole weight thing and feeling less hungry. Bowel movements are still consistent at once per day although I never seem to have one long poop anymore, always comes out in pieces and is light brown/pale in colour. Does this mean some sort of malabsorption? I only have occasional bloating and gas, definitely doesn’t happen every day. Don’t feel tired or exhausted.

However, I’m really on the verge of going back to my doctor and asking for a sigmoidoscopy. I don’t know if my symptoms warrant it but I will push for it.

My initial worry was coeliac disease, hence the blood test. Over the past 2 weeks or so, it has morphed into bowel cancer. I have started the process of getting help for my health anxiety but I’m hoping all this stomach stuff is nothing serious.
    Last edited by shotta287; 31-05-19 at 11:37.

Upset stomach for weeks

So, almost a month later and I am still worried. Waiting on the blood test results, another week to go I think.

I think my hunger is mainly being suppressed by my constant anxiety and worry. I’m averaging I reckon almost 2000 calories per day but I dare not check my weight just yet. My trousers feel a little looser so I know I’ve lost weight.

I don’t know what it is that is fuelling my worry. Maybe it’s the whole weight thing and feeling less hungry. Bowel movements are still consistent at once per day although I never seem to have one long poop anymore, always comes out in pieces and is light brown/pale in colour. Does this mean some sort of malabsorption? I only have occasional bloating and gas, definitely doesn’t happen every day. Don’t feel tired or exhausted.

However, I’m really on the verge of going back to my doctor and asking for a sigmoidoscopy. I don’t know if my symptoms warrant it but I will push for it.

My initial worry was coeliac disease, hence the blood test. Over the past 2 weeks or so, it has morphed into bowel cancer. I have started the process of getting help for my health anxiety but I’m hoping all this stomach stuff is nothing serious.
    You’re not actually describing anything that requires a doctor. You’re anxious and therefore less hungry, your not eating as much because your less hungry therefore you may find you’ve lost weight.

As for the colour of your stool, what are you eating? That plays a big part in things. You may find drinking more and eating better (not necessarily more) would return the stools to the state that you expect but frankly what you have is a far shout from abnormal.

You are occasionally gassy/bloated, I don’t know why this is a particular worry, it’s perfectly normal.

So ultimately you would go to the doctors for:

- Regular consistent bowel movements.

- Weight loss because you’ve been eating less. (Also known as a diet if you do it on purpose)

- Occasionally feeling gassy/bloated.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Mouse, apologies for the late response, but thank you very much for the reassurance. I really appreciate it.

I’m pretty sure my anxiety is suppressing my appetite. Any tips on how to overcome this?

Mouse, apologies for the late response, but thank you very much for the reassurance. I really appreciate it.

I’m pretty sure my anxiety is suppressing my appetite. Any tips on how to overcome this?
    Honestly, eat. Get yourself back into a normal routine with food and work on the cause of the problem and tackle that anxiety! Meditation, medication, mindfulness, therapy, coping techniques and grounding - all good options, even better in my experience to combine as many of them as possible!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information