Thread: Lexapro and weight.

Lexapro and weight.

Hello . I am curious to know if anyone else has gained weight on Lexapro? I started taking 10 mg a day about 6 months ago and have gained 15 pounds. I have started a diet to try and take the weight off but i seem to crave carbs while on Lexapro too so it’s been difficult . Anyone else been successful at losing weight while in this drug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Lexapro and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by roseanxiety View Post
    Hello . I am curious to know if anyone else has gained weight on Lexapro? I started taking 10 mg a day about 6 months ago and have gained 15 pounds. I have started a diet to try and take the weight off but i seem to crave carbs while on Lexapro too so it’s been difficult . Anyone else been successful at losing weight while in this drug?

Hi Rose

This is not uncommon and happened to me for the first 6-12 months on Citalopram. Your body will adjust, maintaining your exercise and diet regime will be key to keeping any extra pounds off. Hope you’re feeling better for being on the meds.

Cheers

Rich

Yes I am feeling much better in the med. I am exercising and have just begun to watch my food intake. Thanks for your reply.

I have gained like 30 lbs while on the medication. I didn’t think was the meds. It’s probably more then that. But glad to hear other people are experiencing the same issue. I need to diet and exercise a lot. I don’t want to be off these meds they have helped me lot. Take care of your self.

I gained 21KG on Sertraline but since changing to Lexapro it's slowly but gradually coming off.
    I haven't changed my diet on either drug.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I didn't really notice a lot of weight gain on Lexapro, but I've gained weight on Prozac even though that's supposed to be one of the better ones for weight. Thankfully, I've been on it two years and have been doing great so my doc is comfortable trying out a lower dose to see if it helps + doesn't mess with my anxiety/depression. Otherwise, she said there are other medications that could be explored, though they're more costly (but she didn't mention names).
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thread Information