Thread: Constant Panic And Feeling Like I’m About To Die

Constant Panic And Feeling Like I’m About To Die

Hi everyone,

I am a long term sufferer of panic attacks, I’ve never had depression but my anxiety can be ridiculous sometimes, especially health anxiety. I was doing extremely well recently until about a week ago I woke up feeling very sad and almost in a “frenzy”, and my chest went tight and I thought I was going to die. This lasted for about the whole day and night and ended up with what I think was a massive acid reflux attack (I suffer from this sometimes but never this bad) and I ended up sleeping it off and woke up with it but much milder and a very hoarse throat.

The following day was similar and the next few days until now the anxiety and “my lung is blocked” feeling is getting worse, although it comes and goes so I don’t think it’s a chest infection or anything bad, and is only on the one side. Is it possible I’m so anxious that this symptom is just from my brain? I feel so weak and exhausted now from all this panic, once it comes on I never really get rid of it until I sleep and even then I wake up feeling unwell. I’d go to a doctor but last time I had this “lung problem” he shrugged it off as anxiety and allergies, and as soon as the stress went away I think this also went.

I have a mild wheeze with it sometimes and my throat is so tight I struggle to swallow food, but I know still this can be anxiety. The pain in my chest from this panic is unbelievable and I’m so scared I’m going to faint or die. And I keep googling why my lung feels blocked and I think it’s making it worse.

Please does anyone have any advice, I’m so scared right now that the thought of even speaking to a doctor or going outside is terrifying and I don’t think I’d be able to do it.

P.S forgot to mention I’m also crying all the time, it’s like something’s switched me into a different person, I was so happy before and now I live in fear, and just want to die.

Re: Constant Panic And Feeling Like I’m About To Die

Unfortunately, this won't be advice you want to hear, but...

You need to see your GP to get help with this. I've been there, I know if feels hopeless but a little extra support can make a world of difference.

I went to my GP today feeling absolutely awful and explained my problem, and checked my chest and gave me a small MOT check with like blood pressure and stuff, and my chest is clear and she says at the worst I might have a small viral infection. Odd as I was sure there was something wrong. But I’m taking her word for it and trying to ignore my symptoms.

She also gave me some diazepam for my anxiety and panic attacks and has asked for some more counselling for me, I am far too scared to take the medication so I’m working on my breathing to try and get through it (I will resort to medication if I have to but the side effects are terrifying) and I seem to have more fight in me than I did earlier at least, still very anxious but I’ll try get through it. Feeling very exhausted and weak but still determined not to take the medication as I’m so scared of it.

I’m hoping this anxiety will die off soon as I am trying so hard to get through it. I feel like such a waste of space right now, just bothering everyone and saying how bad I feel and scared of everything. Hopefully I’ll be back to normal very soon.

Take the medications. They will help you. My brain is finally at a level where my panic attacks have gone. It took 3 weeks on the medications to start feeling anything positive. I still have bad days, but so much better. With a level head you can tackle your problems in life without the horrible anxiety.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thread Information