Thread: Had mucus in stool for years never realizing it

Had mucus in stool for years never realizing it

This may be slightly TMI, but for years now, not sure how long exactly I have been experiencing what I realized today to be mucus overproduction. Basically, while I would rarely see mucus on stool, I would fairly frequently have some mucus (usually yellow, sometimes clear) when wiping. But I never realized that it was... well mucus. After a while it felt so normal I can't honestly remember it not being there.

I do suffer from GERD, I was treated for ulcers last year, and I'm right now undergoing treatment for a minor ulcer I have developped after using ibuprofen like an idiot last December and did not heal properly. Plus I am allergic to pollens and there is a high chance I have psoriasis. My mother has IBS and my sis was diagnosed with celiac disease a couple of years back.

When it comes to pooping other than an occasional spot of red I would trace back to either anal fissure (I did have that checked by a doctor, and later I would feel a tear somewhere on my bum so...) or me having eaten something red in the past few days, an infrequent bout of diarrhea + my bowels tend to be overreactive while stressed, I never had many issues. Though Concept of " regular frequency" as far as I am concerned does not exist. Most months I go once-twice a day, but some months I go 3-4 times a day. I was discussing other intestinal issues (said ulcers) with a doctor today, she asked me if I was having problem with mucus and my answer was "sometimes", but I think it should have been often instead. Doctor noted that but said nothing else.

I am thinking of going back to her to discuss that next week, but I wonder whether I actually should if I don't have any "major" issues. Bowel and pancreatic cancers (welp... dying in general) are one of my major "bugbears" at the moment, so I feel that I should, but I don't want to be overreacting over nothing, because lately I hate myself for doing that. I am stumped. What should I do?

Re: Had mucus in stool for years never realizing it

A lot of people have mucus on here, myself included, it's normal, just like the mucus in your nose. And if you've noticed it for years and you're still here, then you're fine

Re: Had mucus in stool for years never realizing it

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    A lot of people have mucus on here, myself included, it's normal, just like the mucus in your nose. And if you've noticed it for years and you're still here, then you're fine
    Yeah, it definitely had been a while. I wonder if due to the colour it is not fat instead, but my poop for the most part look normal. And for the most part I have not had any major GI related pain issues, and most stuff that causes fat in poop is rather painful from what I've read (yes I know Dr. Google is not my friend) Plus I imagine if I had malabsorption issues I would have developped other symptoms since. I do plan to check it out eventually, as due to family history I imagine I am at higher risk of having something funky going on there. Yay for genetics.

Thread Information