Thread: Returning to Work etc.

Returning to Work etc.

I've just written a BLOG to try and help with getting information across to the team that I work with at work, Its an attempt to try and educate them on my recent absence due to a biPolar episode, its available to wider than the work place but that was the primary reason for it, I've used a structure that I saw someone else use to carve it up into bite size chunks and hopefully it does the job.

I appreciate that everyones mental health is nuanced and my condition is that I'm navigating BiPolar type 2 ( mania , depression ) with anxiety as well in the mix. I'm lucky in that we have a Wellbeing programme at our work that means that we can network regards mental health off the side of our desks. Not that it means that the stigma is broken, there are still folks that see people navigating mental health and think they are lazy, useless colleagues but we are fighting it.

https://tonyamis.blogspot.com/2019/0...g-to-work.html

any comments welcomed?

Tony

Re: Returning to Work etc.

I really liked that - I'm trying to be out at work about my anxiety and depression, but I'm definitely at the introverted end of humanity and while I genuinely like people, they tire me out very quickly.

I particularly liked the section where you offered advice on how to help a colleague with MH issues - it's how I'd hope people would act towards me, and how I always try to act towards others if they're acting unlike themselves.

BlueIris, I hope people do reach out to you
    Im quite lucky in that my work seems progressive when it comes to Mental Health
    Its interesting as my local Mental Health services in the NHS are the worst in the country and have been in Special Measures 3 out of the last 4 years

I have had to adopt private counselling through a Talking Therapist as I can't get anything NHS based

I tire very quickly but Im finding that my biggest fear is that my last working years might be the worst of my life and I dont want that

Can I ask a question?

How do people cope with the tiredness during the working day. Its really hard some days to push on through. I take my medication at 6pm most evenings and some of it is sedative and some days I just feel that there is a hangover in the morning though that could be my depression as much as my medication.
    I do then on board copius amounts of coffee but I think that doesn't help my anxiety or mania if there is any.

Can't speak for others, but I try to pace myself, I guess? I'm only on citalopram but it does make me sleepy.

I try to make sure the office doesn't get too warm - the window's always open and I have a fan - but what I mostly try to do is work productively while I can but not beat myself up if I get tired and/or distracted.

Its not so much beating myself up.
    Its the knowing looks from colleagues if im not as productive as them straight away, it seems.
    Manager is supportive so that really helps me.

Thread Information