Thread: Anyone else have anxiety around taking medications due to fear of side effects??

Anyone else have anxiety around taking medications due to fear of side effects??

I have developed a real fear of taking any kind of medications. This is going to be life debilitating and it is so frustrating. I worry about anaphayltic shock mainly and heart palpitations, feeling strange and not having control etc etc etc …. Please can anyone advise or help me?? thanks in advance.. I hate anxiety it is ruining my life completely..

Re: Anyone else have anxiety around taking medications due to fear of side effects??

The bark is worse than the bite. The worry over medications is the anxiety talking. Swallow it and be done with it. Quicker you start, the quicker you'll get any side effects over and done with. Side effects are not deliberating and most people don't feel any at all. It will help you, and will help kill the anxiety.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Anyone else have anxiety around taking medications due to fear of side effects??

I understand how taking meds can be a PITA and concerning for some. I take 8 prescription meds and 5 OTC supplements daily. It is what it is am I concerned about side effects? I'm more concerned about dying or less quality of life so the choice is easy.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you for taking the time to reply much appreciated guys. I get so annoyed with myself. I’m suffering with bad balance issues and anxiety sometimes I feel I cannot go on like this. Wishing you well

Quote Originally Posted by sammiej123 View Post
    I have developed a real fear of taking any kind of medications. This is going to be life debilitating and it is so frustrating. I worry about anaphayltic shock mainly and heart palpitations, feeling strange and not having control etc etc etc …. Please can anyone advise or help me?? thanks in advance.. I hate anxiety it is ruining my life completely..
    Hey, I also have this! I'm ok with medicines I have taken for a while but any new medicine and I'm like you, I have to read through all the side effects of the leaflet and end up getting myself in a right state. In the past I have refused medicine for this reason convinced I'm going to have an anaphylatic shock. The best thing I have found is weighing up the benefits of the tablets and how they will improve your life and then trying to remember that the risk of anaphylactic shock is very small. Also the more anxious you become about taking them the more likely you will experience symptoms like heart palpitations and feeling strange as this is a result of anxiety.

Thank you for replying I am the same as you.. I feel I need some counselling or something regarding this issue my anxiety is off the scale at the moment

Yes Sammiej123 same here. Been trying to get myself to take antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds for 3 years. Taken home many prescriptions and then threw them away. Most recent one was Lexapro, prescribed a few days ago. Haven’t taken it. I am afraid of losing control. I am afraid it will make me suicidal. I’m afraid it will hurt me. I also feel that way about my anxiety though, that it hurts me, that it takes control. I have a heart palp and think that I am going to die of an abnormal heart rhythm. A headache is an aneurism. A leg ache is bone cancer.So it’s like what’s more dangerous? The physical and mental symptoms of anxiety or of the medicine? Sorry I have no advice for you, just wanted to let you know you are 100% not alone.

Thread Information