Thread: My Mirtazapine Experience

My Mirtazapine Experience

Just thought I'd put down a few words about my experience with Mirtazapine during the first month of taking it for health anxiety and problems sleeping.

Starting Dose: 15mg Daily, taken two hours before bedtime

Felt as though I'd been hit with a brick in the morning. Lasted about a week and then decided enough was enough and stopped taking it. A gap of about 4 days then ensued

Follow on Dose: 7.5mg Daily, taken two hours before bedtime

Felt as though I'd been hit with two bricks in the morning. Lasted two nights, then stopped taking it. A gap of about two days then ensued.

Next Experimental Dose: 30mg Daily, taken two hours before bedtime

Great result. Helped me sleep, but no really noticeable after effects the next morning. Continued with this dosage up to the present date. No real noticeable uplift in mood yet, but am not expecting miracles at this early stage in my treatment.

The above was just me experimenting with the dosage. I did not consult with my GP at any time during this period.

Hope the above may help some of you who are just starting out on this medication.

Re: My Mirtazapine Experience

Thank you for this..... I hope it will help people who are starting out on this med and I am glad it is workign for you

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

It's not a great idea messing with the dosage so much with this drug as I recently found to my cost. It takes a few months, for me anyway, to start taking affect so going up and down in dose then stopping might catch you out. i'm coming off now but over months not days.

Quite agree Maca. GP suggested starting at 15mg, if that proved too strong then up the dose to 30mg. Should have listened more carefully. 15mg hit me like a brick. Upping the dose to 30mg seemed counterintuitive to me, so I cut down to 7.5mg. Not good. After some thought, remembered that the GP had told me that increasing the dose actually reduced the sedative effect and increased the therapeutic effect.

Off to to buy some new ears tomorrow......

Yes when I started this med I was totally out of it for a few days on 15mg then went to 30mg after a few weeks and was stable on that. Its only since I have reduced that I noticed just how hungover I had been first thing am, now im at 7.5mg Im almost too awake in the morning and have to get on and do stuff otherwise my mind will turn on itself and the anxiety will get bad.

Went to see the GP yesterday to review my progress, or lack of it. He had a chuckle when I told him about my failure to listen to his instructions.

He has now suggested that I remain on 30mg daily for the next six months to see if my mood improves. So far, and I’ve been taking this stuff now for about a month, I feel much the same as I did when I started taking it. I guess it doesn’t help that I currently have a head cold from hell.

If if you don’t mind me asking Maca, when did you first start to feel any benefit from taking Mirtazapine?

It was about 3 months into 30mg, to be honest my wife noticed a change before I did so it kind of creeps up on you if that makes sence. 3 years on when coming off I can say for sure that it did help me but I just couldnt take the hangover am and wright gain, that is the only reason I needed to come off.

Thanks for that Maca. Definitely feel groggy in the mornings. Hoping that will subside in time. Hoping also that weight gain is not going to be a problem. Have read that lots of folks on this medication have noticed some weight gain.

Am am really glad that it worked for you Maca, and wish you all the best in your efforts to come off the stuff.

Thanks
    The weight gain thing was the last thing on my mind when I started on Mirt I just wanted to get well again so please don't be put off by that just keep an eye on diet and up your walking etc.

That sounds like good advice Maca. I’ll do just that.

Thread Information