Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Mirtazapine Experience

Re: My Mirtazapine Experience

Well, I eventually upped the dose to 45mg daily on recommendation of th GP and was still not experiencing much improvement. Went back to the GP who suggested that I augment the 45mg Mirtazapine with 10mg Escitalopram. A month later and still no appreciable improvement. Back to the GP and the Escitalopram was increased to 20mg daily. A month after that I was starting to see an improvement.

Regrettably, at present, I’m suffering a bit of a setback, with increased feelings of anxiety with no specific source. Just hoping that it’s a blip, a small bump in the road, and not another mountain that I’m going to have to climb.

Just thought that I’d share this with the group in the hope that someone else having the same issues wouldn’t think that they were alone. Will post again with any updates.

Quote Originally Posted by sollythegolly View Post
    Went back to the GP who suggested that I augment the 45mg Mirtazapine with 10mg Escitalopram. A month later and still no appreciable improvement. Back to the GP and the Escitalopram was increased to 20mg daily. A month after that I was starting to see an improvement.
    That's good news. Some of us need to take a high dose to get a response out of ADs. You can expect further improvement as it usually takes more than a month to achieve the maximum benefit from a dose increase.

What plans are there for the mirtazapine once escitalopram has fully kicked-in?

Regrettably, at present, Iím suffering a bit of a setback, with increased feelings of anxiety with no specific source. Just hoping that itís a blip, a small bump in the road, and not another mountain that Iím going to have to climb.
    Blips are fairly common, all part of the one step forward, several back dance often experienced at the beginning. It is a positive sign.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    That's good news. Some of us need to take a high dose to get a response out of ADs. You can expect further improvement as it usually takes more than a month to achieve the maximum benefit from a dose increase.

What plans are there for the mirtazapine once escitalopram has fully kicked-in?

Good point pdu. There currently is no plan for either of the meds. The initial plan for Mirtazapine only was to remain on that particular med for around six months, and then review. Well 6 months has passed and I reckon that if I don’t make an effort to book a review, then the GP surgery will keep on providing repeat prescriptions until the end of time.

Blips are fairly common, all part of the one step forward, several back dance often experienced at the beginning. It is a positive sign.
    Well that sounds encouraging pdu. Of course it would help if I knew what I was anxious about, but I haven’t a clue. It’s hard to put any plan in place if there’s no specific starting point.

Of course it would help if I knew what I was anxious about, but I havenít a clue. Itís hard to put any plan in place if thereís no specific starting point.

There may not be a specific event/s, or situation/s, beyond the general vagaries of life, DNA and epigenetics. After a while these disorders often take on a 'life' of their own independent of any trigger as the emotional symptoms of an underlying physical brain deficit which can be reversed by medication, cognitive/behavioural/mindfulness therapy, or, ideally, both.

Well, the medication bit has been sorted, but not any accompanying therapy. I have been thinking long and hard about that. My previous experience with a GP referred organisation’Talking Change’ was not very positive. It was all done by phone and by (emailed) CBT tasks that I was asked to complete and return. Never saw anyone on a face-to-face basis.

Notwithstanding that, I have decided to give them another chance, but only on the understanding that I do this on a face-to-face basis. No phone calls, apart from those to arrange appointments, and no email worksheets. If that turns out not to be possible, then I just may put my hand in my pocket and pay for private counselling. But at around £50 per 1 hour session, it had better be good.

‘Talking Change’ says that they will contact me within the next 5 working days. I’ll let you know the outcome of that.

So I received a letter from Talking Change asking me to call the admin team to arrange an appointment for an initial telephone assessment. First appointment available was for 1030 on 14th January. I am also being sent a questionnaire to complete prior to that appointment. The assessment will take 30-40 minutes.

Sounds like a cookie cutter approach, but I guess thatís acceptable for an initial assessment.

Sounds like a cookie cutter approach, but I guess thatís acceptable for an initial assessment.
    At least you're getting a foot in the door. Hopefully, the experience will be better this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information