Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Heartburn / angina after exercise

Heartburn / angina after exercise

Hi all, after going nearly 5 months with bowel cancer / IBD worries resulting in various tests and a flex sigmoidoscopy I've turned my attention to heart disease (or that's how my partner puts it as). For anyone that's seen my posts, I suffer badly with HA.

This has happened sometimes over the past 3 months after football training - I will get a heartburning feeling in my chest during and after training, sometimes lasting a good one or two hours after I stopped.

Now I initially put this down to heartburn because I had been getting some indigestion / reflux symptoms with all my anxiety over the bowels, but after googling (Yes, I know) ways of combating heartburn after exercise I was faced with angina and heart disease! And that heartburn is often misdiagnosed when it is infact angina and heart problems, maybe even an actual heart attack! I do sometimes get arm pains and shoulder pains in football - could I have had heart attacks already? I eat food at least and hour and a half before training.

I'm 32 years old, so maybe fairly young to get angina type symptoms but I have suffered from palpitations for 15 years, along with a racing heartbeat at times (probably anxiety?), and I'm very concerned right now - don't know whether to visit the docs again. Also been stressed out over the bowel issues, so wondering if I've given myself heart disease as stress is a factor.

Really wished I could just live my life now without these constant health worries.
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 10-05-19 at 08:19.

Re: Heartburn / angina after exercise

Did you ever take the anxiety meds you were given?

Your long suffering partner is spot on.

Yes I admit that I have indeed jumped from one thing to another, but I'm not making my symptoms up.

And no, I didn't start the meds. I had been starting to feel a lot better recently.

You have been feeling a lot better recently- and you still have a partner! Two reasons to be thankful!!

As a longterm HA sufferer I know the symptoms are real. It can feel like you just *happen* to have an unfortunate run of of really alarming symptoms. You are just incredibly unlucky. “If anyone had this symptom they would be worried”, you think. The problem is with the symptoms - which are REAL - not with the brain. Anxiety is the natural reaction to potentially sinister symptoms. Right?
    But rationally - this cannot be right. Rationally- from a statistical point of view- non HA sufferers must, on average, have a similar quota of sensations and symptoms as us HA sufferers. It’s just they notice them - and worry about them - less. Therefore: the problem is with your brain. Not with your heart. Or your bowels. Or your muscles. Or your sock-imprint marks. Or your itchy-flea-bites-next-to-moles.

Sorry- I got carried away. But stamp on this one before you spiral again.

Hi when you have had this in the past have you taken any indigestion remedies to see if it eases it.
    I want say don't go back to see your GP because even though we all say you shouldn't feed health anxiety sometimes you do need to get somethings checked out so we can move on and chest pain is not something I would advise anyone to ignore.
    Chances are that it's acid reflux due to running around but best get it looked at and while your their ask your GP to give you a referral to see a therapist or an online one to help you combat it before it takes over your life

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    You have been feeling a lot better recently- and you still have a partner! Two reasons to be thankful!!

As a longterm HA sufferer I know the symptoms are real. It can feel like you just *happen* to have an unfortunate run of of really alarming symptoms. You are just incredibly unlucky. “If anyone had this symptom they would be worried”, you think. The problem is with the symptoms - which are REAL - not with the brain. Anxiety is the natural reaction to potentially sinister symptoms. Right?
    But rationally - this cannot be right. Rationally- from a statistical point of view- non HA sufferers must, on average, have a similar quota of sensations and symptoms as us HA sufferers. It’s just they notice them - and worry about them - less. Therefore: the problem is with your brain. Not with your heart. Or your bowels. Or your muscles. Or your sock-imprint marks. Or your itchy-flea-bites-next-to-moles.

Sorry- I got carried away. But stamp on this one before you spiral again.
    Yes I agree with all your saying, and understand completely. I do think sometimes that my thinking is rational when perhaps it's not.

I think I may just go straight to the docs rather than hang around waiting to spiral, I know that's not the best way to overcome HA.

And like AlexandriaUK said above, chest pain shouldn't be ignored.

To AlexndriaUK, I've only noticed it 2/3 times - the main time when I put lemon in my water before training and I could feel fluid coming back up into my mouth after running around. Burping a lot too.

I do drink squash before and during training, so not sure if that would have an effect on stomach acid / reflux.

I have taken Gaviscon for heartburn / indigestion before and it has helped. I took some last night after a few hours because the burning was still slightly there, and it went away before bed time. I will add that I also eat after training, and last night I had crisps, chocolate and a cup of tea. All that probably didn;t help.

The scary thing about last night is I was having pain in my left kidney / lower back area as well, along with some ache-ness in my left arm, but I don't know if that was from twisting or barging into someone. But those can be heart attack symptoms so I'm petrified right now.

Being petrified isn't a non-HA response, Mr L, and neither is your overthinking. You really do need to get a lid on this before it gets out of control again, preferably by taking care of the root cause.

I have angina. YOU DON'T!

I urge you to start the medication. It can help you avoid another spiral when, not if, the dragon starts breathing down your neck.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I don't wish to sound scathing but this jump to another HA fear was a case of when, not if, and absolutely on the cards, because I don't believe you have ever addressed your anxiety disorder/hypochondria.

I do have sympathy with JoJo's HA perspective, but on balance, I would concur with above advice from Fish: Start medication. Give yourself a chance to begin healing - otherwise it's "SSDD" Central.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information