Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Heartburn / angina after exercise

Re: Heartburn / angina after exercise

So, I should just ignore nearly 12 hours of my heart racing at 90-100bpm, possibly more tbh. Even with deep breathing and calming exercises etc. That's classic afib really isn't it?

From what I've read it's very difficult to differentiate between afib and a racing heart from anxiety, but prolonged episodes would probably rule out anxiety.

I haven't mentioned this racing heart to my doctor because this is the first episode of it I've had since December.
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 02-06-19 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    So, I should just ignore nearly 12 hours of my heart racing at 90-100bpm, possibly more tbh. Even with deep breathing and calming exercises etc. That's classic afib really isn't it?

From what I've read it's very difficult to differentiate between afib and a racing heart from anxiety, but prolonged episodes would probably rule out anxiety.

I haven't mentioned this racing heart to my doctor because this is the first episode of it I've had since December.
    Certainly mention it but I do have to question your judgement due to your anxiety. I'm not questioning the symptom, just the accuracy. Again, I recommend starting the meds. I've seen many members over the years in the same situation and when they finally tried the meds, even with added anxiety in the beginning, they've done incredibly well. Some of which I haven't seen post in years. Worst case they don't help (rarely) but the best case is certainly worth trying not just for yourself but for your family.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I've just thought of some more heart related symptoms that could be worrying. A few months ago in the gym, and I hadn't been for years, I was doing some weights - probably pushing myself too much. After 45 mins I did some heavy kettle bell swings and got some palpitations, so stopped and went home. I had never had palpitations during excercise before that, and coupled with that episode in football training a few weeks back it's all looking quite scary. I really wish I could just let this go now, and just accept that the heart symptoms are probably (hopefully) anxiety related, it's just that heart related stuff always gets more attention and focus. It's just really deflating to be back ruminating again about a health issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    I really wish I could just let this go now, and just accept that the heart symptoms are probably (hopefully) anxiety related, it's just that heart related stuff always gets more attention and focus. It's just really deflating to be back ruminating again about a health issue.
    I assume you haven't started the meds?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

It drives me nuts, I've seen my life transformed by taking antidepressants and I honestly don't get what they can do to somebody in the grip of severe HA that's worse than the HA itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    It drives me nuts, I've seen my life transformed by taking antidepressants and I honestly don't get what they can do to somebody in the grip of severe HA that's worse than the HA itself.
    I hear ya! I actually have heart disease and take 5 prescription meds to treat it. If I refused to take those medications due to fear of side effects, I put my life at risk.

Mr L.... I have real physical issues that can put me 6 ft under. You have a real mental issue that's essentially doing that to you above ground. You have a little pill that can help stop that from happening. So refuse the meds and live like you're dying or take the meds (therapy too) and regain your life. Easy choice as far as I'm concerned.

Positive thoughts

Seriously, it's wonderful. It's the difference between a panic attack flooring me for a week and tiring me out for a few hours.

I've suffered crippling HA, and I've spent days in bed sobbing because I knew for sure my husband was about to die, or because I was completely convinced I had horrible bad news and terrifying medical treatments in my future. Swallowing a single small tablet every morning means I don't have to do that any more, which frees up time for fun stuff instead.

Mr. L, why would you not want to be doing fun stuff instead?

Sorry to dissapoint both, no, I have not started the meds. I'm not really sure what I'm expecting in terms of replies now, because I know many of you are just exasperated at my reluctance to take them.

I just wanted to know your thoughts on this.

I've been obsessing with my pulse for nearly a week, since my episode of heart racing. I played 80mins of football tonight, a friendly against a youth side, and been worrying about it all week - imagining myself collapsing on the pitch etc.

So the game finished at 9pm, and it's now 10pm and my pulse is still 90-100bpm. Maybe more. I've only measured this crudely by measuring my pulse for 15 seconds and multiplying by 4 - a method I found on here I think. Straight after the game I began pulse checking, which I know doesn't help the situation.

I thought my resting HR would have returned to normal by now, and I'm worrying that I would fail a stress test due to these measurements. I read online that your HR should reduce every minute after stopping excersise so why is mine still high?

Or am I being completely ridiculous? I only live 5 mins from A&E, and the temptation to go down there now is pretty strong :-(

I'm not sure what you're hoping for when you ignore all advice and reasoning from people who've experienced this and seen the light on the other side.

You need to accept that you don't have health issues, you have health anxiety issues, and these are what you need to be trying to manage.

If you can't wrangle them on your own, then you need help in the form of therapy and maybe medication. There's no shame in that. However, it does require a little rationality and self-awareness.

A&E won't be "enough" for you. A full cardiac assessment by the most knowledgeable cardiologist won't give you 100% proof that you don't have a hidden heart defect that could strike you down suddenly. You will continue to doubt, ruminate and Google because you have HA and are actively feeding it with your behaviours and thoughts. You aren't getting any benefit from the advice given to you on here because you are wrapped up in your symptoms to the exclusion of everything else in your life.
    I understand why you are wary of meds but at least get some decent psychological therapy before you lose a lot more than just your mental health.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information