Thread: Struggling to get pregnant

Struggling to get pregnant

Hey there

I'll get straight to it - we've been trying for about 8 months now and had absolutely nothing. I've been looking into infertility and found a couple things that might help me - 'temping', ovulation predictor kits and calculators, and various supplements/good foods to be eating. What's worth trying, what isn't? Did you use temping, OPKs or ovulation calculators and were they helpful? Getting a bit desperate and it seems the next step is the doctor to test for infertility. Hopefully it won't get to that!

Re: Struggling to get pregnant

8 months isn't that long though, and kind of depends on age and your health in other ways. I didn't use anything at all (mind it was a long time ago before there were such things readily availiable) and just guessed that ovulation was mid-cycle, and I had a very regular 28 day cycle. Hopefully someone will come along soon with some more practical advice....

It can take a healthy and fertile couple up to a year to conceive and the doctors are reluctant to help before that so you have some breathing room to try and think about things first.

I used ovulation tests, I used the Clearblue digital ones though because the line ones seem too ambiguous. I also used an app to keep track of everything. Do you know when you ovulate? If you're not sure then just have intercourse every other day, but I do recommend getting the ovulation tests. They worked fab for me. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat I got heavily into the TTC stuff!! I did try temping, checking bodily signs, ov kits, etc xx

Quote Originally Posted by penworth View Post
    Hey there

I'll get straight to it - we've been trying for about 8 months now and had absolutely nothing. I've been looking into infertility and found a couple things that might help me - 'temping', ovulation predictor kits and calculators, and various supplements/good foods to be eating. What's worth trying, what isn't? Did you use temping, OPKs or ovulation calculators and were they helpful? Getting a bit desperate and it seems the next step is the doctor to test for infertility. Hopefully it won't get to that!
    It took me over 2 years to get pregnant with my first and one drunken night with my second.

I went to the GP after 1 year of trying and he ran some tests and found out I had PCOS without cysts and that I wasn't ovulating. No wonder I never got a positive ovulation test. He put me on a low dose of metformin. I started taking vitamins B complex, vitamin C, Vitamin D as well as folic acid. I lost 1.5 stone through low carbs and had traditional Chinese accupuncture. We didn't use ovulation tests after this as I didn't want to stress myself out.

You may not have any fertility issues at all but if you do it does not always mean permanent infertility.

All the best x

I used ovulation predictors, and got pregnant in the first cycle that I managed to detect the ovulation. 8 months isn’t long though, especially if you were on hormonal birth control before TTC.

Thread Information