Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't enjoy being alive anymore and don't know what to do

Re: I don't enjoy being alive anymore and don't know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by beq45 View Post
    I guess I don’t feel like I deserve to get better. I have some slight self-destructive tendencies and don’t tend to do things to help myself. It’s like how I don’t date because I don’t think I deserve a relationship
    Thank you for answering. I suspected that was the reason but I didn't want to put words in your mouth. The next question to me then is what is it about yourself that makes you feel less deserving or less worthy of a happy life, etc.? Do you see other people and say "yes they are deserving but not me"? If so is there something you can put your finger on that shows (to you) the perceived difference between themselves and yourself?

I'm curious and would like to be able to help but I doubt I know to ask the right things, to me this sounds very much like the exact kind of thing a professional therapist can easily get to the bottom of. I think you do deserve a shot at a happy life by trying to get help you might just find a way out of your self-destructive tendencies.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post
    Thank you for answering. I suspected that was the reason but I didn't want to put words in your mouth. The next question to me then is what is it about yourself that makes you feel less deserving or less worthy of a happy life, etc.? Do you see other people and say "yes they are deserving but not me"? If so is there something you can put your finger on that shows (to you) the perceived difference between themselves and yourself?

I'm curious and would like to be able to help but I doubt I know to ask the right things, to me this sounds very much like the exact kind of thing a professional therapist can easily get to the bottom of. I think you do deserve a shot at a happy life by trying to get help you might just find a way out of your self-destructive tendencies.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    I don’t believe anyone is necessarily deserving of a happy life or unhappy life. I just view our lives as worthless. We live however short amount of time we’re going to live, most of us live terrible lives, and then we turn into dust. My world view is basically life sucks, then you die.

I don’t believe anyone is necessarily deserving of a happy life or unhappy life. I just view our lives as worthless. We live however short amount of time we’re going to live, most of us live terrible lives, and then we turn into dust. My world view is basically life sucks, then you die.
    Could be worse, you could be a rape victim with PTSD, or be a 7 year old kid who lives in a war zone who's parents were blown up in front of them, or you could be blind, or you could blah blah blah.

Get out in nature and suck up some fresh air. Maybe there isn't a point to life, maybe we're just here for the ride. Maybe (and this is the important bit) the ride is what you make it.

If you're not happy with your life, do something about it. You only get one go.

My world view is basically life sucks, then you die.
    I'm very sorry for you that you feel that way, and very glad I don't.

I’m not trying to say I have it tough compared to anyone else. I would never try to compare myself to someone who grew up in a war zone, for example. I’m just saying I’m 27 and view my life as worthless, so I don’t plan on doing things like getting married or having a family.

I’m not trying to say I have it tough compared to anyone else. I would never try to compare myself to someone who grew up in a war zone, for example. I’m just saying I’m 27 and view my life as worthless, so I don’t plan on doing things like getting married or having a family.
    Then find something you do want to do. Stop overthinking shit and go do something. I would f*cking kill to be 27 again and have another go.

I mean I’m getting married but I won’t have children, it’s all about the path we choose for ourselves.

Is there anything you’ve found passion for in life at all? Video games, art, literature, music, nature, it doesn’t have to be particularly involved just something that ignites/ed something in you.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight-mouse View Post
    I mean I’m getting married but I won’t have children, it’s all about the path we choose for ourselves.

Is there anything you’ve found passion for in life at all? Video games, art, literature, music, nature, it doesn’t have to be particularly involved just something that ignites/ed something in you.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

I like reading, traveling, lifting weights, going to museums, etc., but I don’t consider these legitimate passions. It just reinforces my idea of myself as a boring waste of resources.

I like reading, traveling, lifting weights, going to museums, etc., but I don’t consider these legitimate passions. It just reinforces my idea of myself as a boring waste of resources.
    None of those things are boring, are you still feeling enjoyment from them? I notice when my depression is bad that my enjoyment in things is usually the first thing to go. Do you create anything or work in any way? - then your not just ‘wasting resources’ but creating them for others.

Is there anything you are truly passionate about?

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Unfortunately, it looks as though you're buying into the myth of life having to have some greater purpose.

The truth is, we make our own. For some, this means settling down and starting a family, for some, it means achieving some great goal, for somebody else, it might be something completely different.

Me, I subscribe to John Finnemore's motto for how to live a successful life: Be kind, and have fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information