Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBT is it for everyone?

Re: CBT is it for everyone?

I hope you find the book helpful, I certainly did.
    So easy to understand and the Mindfulness not too textbook if you know what I mean.
    I wouldn't be able to do group therapy either or travel long distance.
    I did seek my own private therapist and if you search around you can find one that suits your needs, some even come to you.
    The NHS also don't tell you that you only get 6 sessions, then you have to pay. I had 3 years with therapists and it still didn't cure me, but was good to offload.

Glad it helped you, I think I might benefit from the book, as you say, it's easy to understand and the writing style makes it easy to take it all in.
    I've had counselling with various therapists and none of it really worked. It's true it's nice to offload, but now I write down what bothers me in a journal. I've had anxiety and panic disorder for over 40 years now and no one has managed to fix me. I knew that the NHS thing was only a set number of weeks, I didn't know they wanted you to pay after that.

The NHS use therapists from outside, so the therapist you see might do private and NHS.
    I have a supposedly well respected therapist living 3 doors down from me and was surprised to find her own life in a disarray and her approach to helping was a complete nonsense. She actually asked me how I coped and because she sees me out and about she comments on me being cured.

I've seeked my own coping methods and knowledge.
    NMP is a great source of help and people that completely understand.
    I hope the book helps you as it did me. x

Eep, that sounds so inappropriate of your therapist!

I have been coping on my own for a long time too, always trying to find ways to ease the anxiety and I manage to a point, but it seems for some reason, the background noise has been louder recently, it's been a little more difficult to deal with. I went to see a private counsellor about a phobia, she was recommended by my GP practice and that was really a waste of time. I ended up giving her a few hundred pounds over a couple of months and realised I'd gained absolutely nothing from all those sessions, it was like going to chat with a rubbish friend. Then I thought, I could have bought myself something nice with that money, that might have made me feel a lot better.

I think that the longer you live with something like anxiety, the better you become at developing coping mechanisms. When it gets out of control again, you know something went wrong, and you have to think of new strategies. I am sure things will get under control again, just need to tackle this differently. I think we are very robust deep down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information