Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Lofepramine anyone?

Re: Lofepramine anyone?

oh she also said i could increase by half

seem to be getting more and more depressed every day

Ian, i aslo believe lofep has a very short half life. kinda when i take it at night i start to feel better. thinkng about starting to take half in the morning as well??

decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Sober2000june View Post
    Ian, i aslo believe lofep has a very short half life. kinda when i take it at night i start to feel better. thinkng about starting to take half in the morning as well??
    The half-life of the parent compound is only about 5 hours, with that of its active metabolite, desipramine around 12-24 hours, however, there seems to be some doubt as to how much is metabolized to desipramine. Split dosing is the preferred option with the recommended starting dose being 70mg morning and evening. You could try splitting your current 70mg/day to 35mg morning and evening for a few days and then adding another 35mg in mid afternoon to see if that works for you. You'll need to switch back to 70mg morning and evening after increasing the dose to 140mg.

I find I do better even with longish half-life TCAs when they are split 2-3 ways, but doctors and psychiatrists don't like prescribing split doses as the more times a day meds need to be taken the less likely people are to stay on them.

*there is, imho, also an argument for taking the shorter half-life SSRIs paroxetine & sertraline and even the slow-release SNRI formulations in 2-3 split doses

seem to be getting more and more depressed every day
    Is that constant throughout the day, or does it vary, and if so when is it at its worst?

to answer your question. its like that all day.
    Ive actually added a half dose today at 11.15 am not sure if going up to 105mg at 21 days was best idea. bit more chatty but don't like the manic feeling. wondering if i should have stayed at 70 another week or 2?

I got a pill cutter but its rubbish, getting 30ish 40ish split
    Last edited by Sober2000june; 01-08-19 at 14:33.

constantly need distracted from myself. cant be with my own thoughts. in fairness its been like that since nov 18

to answer your question. its like that all day.
    Which suggests it's not being driven by the yo-yo effect common to ADs with short half-lives.

Ive actually added a half dose today at 11.15 am not sure if going up to 105mg at 21 days was best idea. bit more chatty but don't like the manic feeling. wondering if i should have stayed at 70 another week or 2?
    The rule of thumb is not to increase a med's dose before plasma levels settle to a steady-state which normally occurs at 5 times its half-life as this may significantly increase side-effects severity. However, waiting much longer before increasing it won't significantly lower subsequent side-effects severity no matter how long the delay, though waiting an extra day or two may build confidence which can have a positive affect. It is a bit more complicated with lofepramine because with very short half-life immediate-release meds plasma levels may continue to fluctuate indefinitely, however, there is still little point in remaining at a sub therapeutic dose for more than a fortnight.

I got a pill cutter but its rubbish, getting 30ish 40ish split
    The blade may be blunt, or it might be the tablet's composition. But a couple of milligrams difference isn't going to be significant, especially as lofepramine has fairly low bio-availability. A 10mg variation in its dose will only produce a 0.7% difference in availability.

actually that night was really much better, unfortunately today has been hades and now doubting myself for upping my dose. Also halved my dose of lorazopam yesterday as i really didn't need any in evening. thank god its bed time in a few hours

so tomorrow will be 3 days at 70 eve 35 morning.

today has been hades and now doubting myself for upping my dose. Also halved my dose of lorazopam yesterday as i really didn't need any in evening
    Feeling worse today might be a withdrawl effect to taking less lorazepam yesterday, not from increasing the AD dose, or a combination of the two.

For how long have you been taking lorazepam daily?

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information