Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Been called for ultrasound much sooner than I was told

Been called for ultrasound much sooner than I was told

I've had very heavy periods, with clots, for about a year or so. Went to the doctor and then I had a hysteroscopy about a month ago. They also took a sample from my uterus that day and sent it away to be tested. They found a polyp, which I have to go back and get removed on June 10th. The doctor who did the hysteroscopy also told me that they would do an ultrasound, but this wouldn't be done until after my polyp removal procedure, possibly a month or two after it.
    I came home from work yesterday and an appointment had arrived in the post for my ultrasound, on 7th June, 3 days before my procedure. Now I don't know if I'm completely over reacting and reading too much into this (as I have a habit of doing this) but I'm worried why my ultrasound has been brought forward. There's all sorts of things going through my head, and I'm worried that they found something in the sample they took and now want to ultrasound me sooner.
    Does that even make sense? If they did find something in the sample, how would they normally go about telling me? Would I get a letter/phonecall that would just spell it out, that they found whatever, and need me to go back? I don't know how these things usually work so I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree by worrying about the early ultrasound.

Re: Been called for ultrasound much sooner than I was told

An admin error? It may be worth phoning the department concerned to explain that you were told that your ultrasound would follow the polyp removal?

Call them and ask

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    An admin error? It may be worth phoning the department concerned to explain that you were told that your ultrasound would follow the polyp removal?
    Yes, this. Sounds like they’ve just booked you in to their next free date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't stop thinking the worst. I've had a look at the appointment letter again and it also says that along with performing the ultrasound, they may also perform a transvaginal scan. I think they only use the word "may" because they say it won't be performed without a patients consent. And it doesn't take very long.

I was also given a copy of the letter that the hospital where I had the hysterosocopy sent to the hospital where I will have the ultrasound. And they said in the letter that they took an endometrial biopsy and will arrange for me to have an ultrasound when they get the results of that.
    So that's why I'm really scared. Did they see something on the biopsy results that is making them bring the ultrasound forward?
    And why are they also performing a transvaginal scan? I'm certain she never mentioned that the last day.

You are going to have to call and ask - how we can possibly know

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Maybe a error? I've had this happen to me before also. My first name and last name is common enough in the county I live. We're all human, little mistakes happen! Can you contacted them yet? I can't tell in what you've written?

Also I'm not doctor but when I had issues (I had lots of cysts.) They performed a transvaginal scan as well. No one mentioned it to me, they just said I was getting a ultrasound. It's just easier for them to get a better look I think. No, they won't do the exam without talking to you. You have the right to say yes or no to it. I've had it done several times now. It's all been plan sailing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenGirl View Post
    I can't stop thinking the worst. I've had a look at the appointment letter again and it also says that along with performing the ultrasound, they may also perform a transvaginal scan. I think they only use the word "may" because they say it won't be performed without a patients consent. And it doesn't take very long.

I was also given a copy of the letter that the hospital where I had the hysterosocopy sent to the hospital where I will have the ultrasound. And they said in the letter that they took an endometrial biopsy and will arrange for me to have an ultrasound when they get the results of that.
    So that's why I'm really scared. Did they see something on the biopsy results that is making them bring the ultrasound forward?
    And why are they also performing a transvaginal scan? I'm certain she never mentioned that the last day.
    It sounds like a standard letter following hysteroscopy/biopsy. The "may" will apply to everyone having had both procedures-some will need a TV scan and some won't.

I'd just ring in the morning and explain what you were told previously? I think if it was anything out of the ordinary you would be contacted by phone rather than by letter.

I know I will have to ring them to see if they will tell me anything, I'm just after getting myself so worked up about it.
    I don't even know which hospital to ring - the one where I had the hysteroscopy and biopsy taken or the hospital where I will have the scan.

And i know Pulisa you said that it sounds like a standard letter, but I just wish the doctor had told me the last day that they may perform a transvaginal scan as well

The hospital where you are due to have the scan.

Doctors are really busy-he/she probably forgot? Or you may not be having one anyway if it's a general letter.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information