Thread: sour half and half

sour half and half

hi everyone
    been so busy, haven't had much time to worry. my son graduates high school tomorrow!!

anyway, quick question...i had some half and half, unopened, with a exp date in july in my fridge. today i opened it and put it in my coffee.
    i took a sip then looked down at my coffee and it was all separated and curdled. so i poured some half and half in another cup and it's not curdled, but it does smell sour.

i cannot be sick right now!! i know it won't kill me, but will it make me sick?

the thing that is bothering me is that since it wasn't even opened yet, i feel like it was likely bad when i bought it, which means it probably wasn't stored right somewhere along the way(truck, grocery, etc). and for some reason this makes me feel like it could have been more than just spoiled, but maybe have the food poisoning bacteria in it.

i know there isn't anything i can do about it, but wondered if anyone else had experienced this before.

Re: sour half and half

Hey friend! I was just thinking of you this week and hoping you were doing well. I haven't been on here often, but just popped on this morning with a small worry as well!

I don't think you'll get sick from the half and half. I think even perfectly good half and half separates sometimes because there is a high fat content.

I've had this happen with heavy cream also. And, a recently had it happen at a restaurant with half and half they gave me with me coffee. The waitress said it was a new container but once in a while that happens.

Congratulations to your son!! What a big day, which I'm sure is raising your anxiety a bit!! I've been doing great, but recently had a big panic attack about all the changes coming with my daughter finishing preschool and heading to Kindergarten and me starting school. There's so much positive excitement, but that also increases anxiety, at least for me!

A sip won't hurt you.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Here's a gross story my dad told me long ago. He used to be a management consultant, traveling constantly and eating on the run. He was once running for a flight and bought a chocolate milk from a vending machine. He was late and thirsty so he opened it on the go and started to chug it down, only to realize a moment too late that it was completely curdled and basically solid. He said it was one of the most horrific experiences, but he also was totally fine and didn't get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    Here's a gross story my dad told me long ago. He used to be a management consultant, traveling constantly and eating on the run. He was once running for a flight and bought a chocolate milk from a vending machine. He was late and thirsty so he opened it on the go and started to chug it down, only to realize a moment too late that it was completely curdled and basically solid. He said it was one of the most horrific experiences, but he also was totally fine and didn't get sick.
    that is nasty.

i'm just holding on to the fact that I only took a sip....and glad to see fishmapa's post() on here with a short but comforting statement

graduation is tomorrow morning... fingers crossed.

thanks for the support.

Thread Information