Thread: Worried about ectopics

Worried about ectopics

have had palpitations since I was 11 or 12 or so . Never had any reason for them other than anxiety . I have had a 72 hour monitor , a 24 hour monitor, an echo , a stress test , dozens of ECGs and all normal except for sinus tachycardia , PVCs and PACs (apparently more of the latter) . GP says these are totally normal .

I find them terrifying as I’m scared with each time I’ll collapse. I have gradually stopped doing anything that triggers them . I avoid laughing , exercising, big meals . Even just standing up and walking to the toilet . Anything that causes adrenaline or an increase in my heart rate I find I get another one and I panic .

I’ve had short runs of 3-5 before . Most recent a fortnight or so ago, 111 sent an ambulance round who said normal ecg and no worries.

My first panic attack was in a building with a defib and I think it’s become an obsession . A relative of mine got told he has inherited condition too and that’s frightened me as well . Cardiologist told me they aren’t concerned as my tests normal . But online it says that condition needs an MRI (ARVC)

I’m aware a major part of the problem is anxiety and possibly I’m not fit enough with having stopped exercise but I am spending 24/7 panicking . I don’t know how to reassure myself . I’m hardly living now because I’m so scared 24/7 :-(

If there’s any reassurance at all would really appreciate it :-(
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Re: Worried about ectopics

Have you received any treatment for your anxiety at all? I think this would be a logical next step.

I have , but years and years ago . I’m on mirtazapine , just started a week ago - but have had a lot of therapy in the past . Various events triggered it all back off .

It might be worth looking into talking therapies just to help top up your coping strategies - I tend to find I need therapy every so often just to keep me properly functional. Bear in mind that the mirtazapine may take a while to work, too.

Hi Daisy,

I’ve had a very similar experience to you. Very much heart rate/rhythm focused anxiety.

I’ve had all sorts of tests like you with only anxiety diagnosed. Lots of PVC’s caught on ecgs but never has a doctor been concerned.

The ectopics were probably my big worry to start with as I had never had them before. The only thing I can tell you to try and ease the worry is that I found if I don’t think about them for an extended period of time, they disappear. I actually had a week without them while I was relatively calm.

I was where you are right now and I promise you it will ease. I’m still nowhere near back to my old self but am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel and you will too.

Cheers,

Al

Thread Information