Thread: Tooth infection

Tooth infection

So, I had a very bad tooth infection that hurt half my face and ears. I was very sick on the first antibiotics and the pain got worse so was given different ones that did the trick. My issue now is the dentist has said that the infection has gone but tooth is a tiny bit loose now cause of so will be a weak point and has kick started my anxiety in a big way. It's all ok in there but now I constantly feel like I can feel my teeth in my mouth in fact it's the tooth next to the naughty one. It's like I can feel it's there almost as someone has put some cotton wool or something in your mouth and naturally I fiddle with my tongue around there and move my mouth around which I know won't help but I simply don't understand this feeling or a tight feeling. I'm prob tense as well. It's relentless and really gets me down and causes me great anxiety at times. I know I am focussing on it which won't help but it's hard not to then it feels sore prob due to me fiddling and moving my mouth around and then I think the infection is coming back.
    Maybe your teeth and gums take time to settle down after, I don't know as I have never had a tooth infection before. The dentist says the infection has gone and the tooth doesn't need to be taken out even though it's a tiny bit loose and that I need to relax.

I feel like I have gone crazy over this. I'm so worried of it coming back and I hate the dentist albeit he is nice just the whole thing and the fear of having something done and being numb makes me feel I will faint or worse. I'm not great with health stuff the past couple of years and I know why that is. I guess I'm looking for similar experiences and to know that this is just a crazy feeling or am I stuck with this weird feeling forever as it's hard to ignore and feel or think about it. Sorry if I rambled on or sound stuipid.

Re: Tooth infection

Quote Originally Posted by poshpants View Post
    The dentist says the infection has gone and the tooth doesn't need to be taken out even though it's a tiny bit loose and that I need to relax.
    He's right. You know you're hyper-focusing on it and that's bound to conjure up all sorts of anxiety. Just take better care of your teeth is all. Having had dental issues, yes, it takes time for things to settle down. Once your anxiety wanes, the test of your symptoms will as well.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I’m not sure I completely understand what is worrying you. Just the fact you can now ‘feel’ your tooth and it’s bothering you since the dentist said it’s a weak point?

If it’s loose it could of shifted a little bit in your gum so it’s now in a slightly different place. Teeth can totally move on their own, I had two teeth taken out and the rest shifted, so they definitely aren’t solidly in there.

I have also had an infection, it wasn’t really in my tooth but rather my gym, where the wisdom teeth come through. It went away and never came back...still no sign of the wisdom teeth though so I don’t think it was related. That was two years ago.

If you are that worried it will cause you further trouble you could always ask if taking it out is a possibility. I had two removed at the same time and it’s not that bad. Everything is a bit sore for a few days but painkillers and soft food helps. The gap also closes up because as I said teeth shift, so you won’t be left with a massive hole (all though how much depends on age, the dentist said mine moved so much because I’m young) I wouldn’t recommend that though, it will probably settle down once you ignore it.

Thank you for your reply. It's difficult when your mind is focusing on something all the time. I have started exercising was well and went for a ten mile bicycle ride yesterday.

Hi Poshpants, was it definitely a tooth infection, or was it a gum infection?
    If tooth, have you just had antibiotics or had other treatment too?

You're not alone, I have anxiety about my teeth all of the time too.

Hope you manage to get passed this soon !

Hi Ryan
    It was a tooth infection yes as I had an x-ray and it showed at the bottom of the tooth and some dots of it up through the tooth. I had two lots of antibiotics as the first didn't work and the pain got worse plus they made me violently sick. The second lot seemed to work instantly as the pain just subsided. I'm not in pain now and don't really have much sensitivity now although when I clean my teeth it can feel a little tender or sensitive.
    It's just this weird feeling and oddly on the tooth next to the naughty one. It's like that tooth suddenly feels big in my mouth or like my mouth is full down there. Also can feel my top teeth on the bottom ones more now. It's a very strange feeling and very difficult to not focus on it when it's pretty much there all the time. It then makes me feel like I can't talk properly as all my teeth are in the way. It's a vicious circle and never had or felt anything like this to now.
    I wish it would all go away now as I can't relax and be me again and enjoy myself with this constant strange feeling which prob makes no sense.
    Yesterday was a good day as didn't have any feelings there as such but today I do uuuggghhh.

Its the HA more than the tooth. I had a similar issue and frankly, its been over almost two years and I still get sensitivity or discomfort. The big difference is I accept it and move on with my life. you're hyper-focused and its consuming you. Our bodies are noisy and they get much noisier as we age. Its just the way it is sometimes. You took meds to treat the infection right? Are you doing anything to treat your HA?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes I took the full course of Antibiotics but was swapped to a different one before finishing the others as the first ones didn't work and the pain got worse. It's odd as soon as I cleaned my teeth this morning it starting the feeling. I guess I just have to try and accept that this is how it is and hope in time this feeling goes.

Thread Information