Thread: Phobia of flying

Phobia of flying

So im due to go to Spain in August but i have never been on a plane before and i am dreading it!!
    Anyone got any useful tips?

Re: Phobia of flying

Wine? Valium? I hate flying too!

I was planning on getting a little drunk before flying but i was under the impression that you werent allowed to board a flight under the influence?

Quote Originally Posted by spacreranger View Post
    I was planning on getting a little drunk before flying but i was under the impression that you werent allowed to board a flight under the influence?
    Depends on what your level of "little drunk" means tbh. I think sometimes it's a hit or miss chance with flying/drinking drunk or drinking. Like some airlines are harder on this rule then others.

Sorry! I'm just mainly gonna copy past another on info from another post I posted in awhile ago as I would mainly be retyping the same thing- but I understand the fear so much!

I used to be so scared of flying- firstly it was just the idea of getting into a plane. Like in my mind it was like, I can't just leave the plane. Like I could get out of a car, bus etc. Yet I couldn't get out of a plane. Everything scared me, the noise etc. I even stopped going places with my friends and family- now this I regret. Missing out on things. I mentioned this to my therapist and we worked on it. I found for me, learning something on how a plane works helped me out! I understood what those noises were that once scared me. It's all normal. Watching a few videos on YouTube (FlywithCaptianJoe is a good one! He explains how a plane works and his just really comforting.) I'm lucky as well that my boyfriends Dad is a pilot with KML and my best friend is cabin crew with another airline, so I could talk to them alot!

On the health stuff....Can relate to this too! Like it's all like- what if this happens! Why does my body feel like this. Like my heart would be pounding, feeling sick. I have sinus issues and sometimes it was like someone was squeezing my head....but I brought a nasal spray! Also, the crew a trained to look after you if anything goes wrong (it won't! That's not what I'm saying). So they can take the very best care of you until you get to land! (My boyfriend Dad helped someone have their baby like fifteen years ago mid-air! So there's a little boy named after him out there somewhere!)

Okay, that's a lot of waffle....but here's some key point I hope will shorten it down.

1. The fear of getting there should never outtake the joy you will feel when you get there.

2. There is so many flights a day- when a accident does happen it's nearly overly published in the press. Like how many car crashes or other accident happen a day we never hear about? Air travel is the safest travel!

3. The crew are there for you, don't be scared to ask them for help if you feel nervous. This is very helpful to me, as I found they always check on you or keep a eye on you.

4. Bring something small that may bring you comfort on the plane, like something that smell like home or something you can hold in your hands

5. If you're desperate, you can always ask your doctor for xanna. I used to take this every time I would fly (I went from not flying for four years to flying nearly every month to two months. Thankfully I don't need it anymore but I still get very nervous. You may not even need to take it, sometimes just having something gives you comfort)

Sorry for the rant x ! I hope you have a good holiday

I was scared to death of planes for 40 yrs then one day I decided it was safer than the highway I would have to drive to get to my destination and just got on the plane.
    Now I enjoy flying and look forward to it.
    My wife always pinches the window seat though.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    I was scared to death of planes for 40 yrs then one day I decided it was safer than the highway I would have to drive to get to my destination and just got on the plane.
    Now I enjoy flying and look forward to it.
    My wife always pinches the window seat though.
    quite true. It is certainly not a rational fear. But then, we humans are good at those!!

Thankyou so much, it makes perfect sense in my head to fly but its the irrational fear of what if. I know we shouldnt live our lives on what if's but its hard :(

Once you're on it's just like being on a bus.
    The most frustrating thing is waiting to take off.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I think its getting on the plane which is the most worrying part ha

Thread Information