Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared to start taking sertraline!!

Scared to start taking sertraline!!

Hi everyone. I'm currently taking amitriptyline but I have started getting skipped heart beats more (I've always had them a bit) so my dr has prescribed sertraline. I'm absolutely terrified of side effects though. I suffer with emetaphobia so my main panic is if it will make me sick but I'm also scared of feeling dizzy etc. Dr has prescribed 50mg for first 2 weeks but I'm thinking of halving dose to 25mg. What do you think? I'm so frightened and feel totally hopeless at the moment. If I got side effects how soon do you think they would come on? In other words when am I safe to think I'm ok!! Any advice or peoples experiences would be appreciated xx

Re: Scared to start taking sertraline!!

Hi Kitkat

I was prescribed sertraline for generalised anxiety disorder and i lasted 3 days on them, i couldnt sleep or eat as i constantly felt sick and dizzy. I was told by the Dr that this was 'normal' but i couldnt take it no longer, i was going insane as i couldnt sleep.
    I went back to the Dr and they prescribed me Citalopram which seems to be fine, no real side effects.

p.s i dont mean to worry you with the side effects as not everyone gets them, just thought id add my experiences.

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's what I'm scared of. I don't think I could cope with feeling like that.

Like i said, everyone is different.. Some people get milder symptoms, some people dont get any.. How long have you been taking amitriptyline for?

I've only been on amitriptyline for about 2 months. Before that I was on clomipramine for about 10 years and was doing great on it but it became unavailable so had to change. If I was going to get nausea etc do you think it would come on straight away, like in the first day or 2??

how come the change then? And I would say so, mine was pretty much straight away but again everyone is different lol

Clomipramine became unavailable so had to change 🙁

Are you still going to be taking amitriptyline?

She said to taper off the amitriptyline over a couple of weeks while I'm taking the sertraline so would be on both for a couple of weeks

Id say you're bound to get side effects then if you're taking both :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information