Thread: Anaemic again...

Anaemic again...

Hiii,

I've suffered from anxiety on and off since I was 13 years old, so bad when I was 13 that I had a blood transfusion.

I'd been feeling really poorly lately and had a blood test and have of course got iron deficiency anaemia again, my HB was 7.7 I believe? Down from 13.6 in January - think it's down to diet.

I can handle anaemia, I've had it enough to know how it feels but my anxiety is going CRAZY. It's making me believe my heart is going to stop due to the weakness :( why is my head doing this to me, and isn't this so unlikely?! I'm not sure I am super convinced that this is happening and my heart is going to fail.

I'm looking for reassurance, I know I shouldn't be I just feel a bit lost :(

Re: Anaemic again...

Hey Shannon,

Sorry to hear you're feeling like this - how long have you dieting for?

Hiiiii, I've not been dieting, my appetite has been really poor lately so I think that might be why :(

I noticed I hadn't been eating as much in the past few months, not actively but it was just going that way. I've had anorexia in the past so I really didn't want to be losing weight so I got worried, I noticed I was maybe losing a bit of weight and feeling very weak and tired. So I went to the doctors, assuming it was anaemia and I was right!

So I'm just a bit worried about my heart with all of those factors :(

Hiyer,

I have had anaemia on and off for about 20 years, if its simple iron deficiency anaemia then iron tablets daily will bring it up fairly quickly. You can take them with fruit juice to help absorption and don't have caffeine at the same time as that hinders absorption. I think you should discuss with your doctor the way to go on this, as if your diet isn't good then maybe you've benefit from some sort of multivitamin as well and certainly some plan to get you back into eating well. Iron deficient anaemia can come on really quite slowly over years, so unless you are losing a lot of blood some other way then it could have been gradually heading down that route for some time. I go through periods of taking iron and those when I don't, as I've become good now at judging bodily symptoms. The lowest reading I got was 10 years ago, when it was 6.3, yes you can feel breathless and have a higher heart rate but it is suprisingly common in the population amongst women particularly in their reproductive years (mine from heavy periods). There are a few different type of iron, so if one doesn't suit you, then you can swap to another MInd, you've had it before, so will know the drill I should think as you certainly don't want to get to transfusion level ! Your heart will be fine and cope (just as mine did), but take the lesson from this that your body is suffering and needs nutrition - you are young (I think, though you don't mention your age) and you have the results there that tell you you need to take some action.
    Last edited by Carys; 21-05-19 at 13:37.

Sorry i thought you meant you were on a diet not meaning diet as in the food you eat *DOH*

Do you have a healthy diet?

I also have Iron Definancy Anaemia. I was diagnosed about three years ago and take liquid iron mixed with fresh orange juice. My levels tend to jump around a bit so never quite right and often very low. I get very tired with it and weak plus headaches and dizziness and palpatation along with feeling breathless at times. It doesn't he.p being a girl at times either as adds to the iron problem. I have had many tests and scans and have found no reason why. I simply cannot maintain and absorb iron without medication. I have six monthly bloods tests now . Hope you feel better soon.

Yeah hopefully it will come up quickly!! I'm struggling quite a bit today with the headache, it's a crazy headache so I am hoping they kick in soon. Thank you for your message xxx

My diet could definitely improve! Sometimes I'm super healthy, other times like now my appetite has decreased and I've not been eating enough :(

Has it decreased because you dont feel like eating?

Hi Oxo - I am like you. A history of Health Anxiety since childhood and now IDA which after a series of tests is probably due to heavy periods. I have found the feeling of breathlessness I get when iron is low is anxiety-provoking. My solution is to stop to notice the breathlessness, slow down and take a deep breath, and release the anxiety. This may happen many times a day when I am feeling bad and have found that recognizing this interaction has helped.. I know if sounds hookey, but I think there is almost a downward spiral with IDA-breathlessness-anxiety. I hope you feel better soon!

Thread Information