Thread: Anyone else get anxiety over wounds on your skin? How to overcome it?

Anyone else get anxiety over wounds on your skin? How to overcome it?

HI everyone,
    When I get wounds on my hand, or an insect bite etc I get seriously bad anxiety. I go into all kinds of catastrophes, I panic I'm going to get blood poisoning, etc, it over comes me, I can't eat, I can't do anything until it heals....anyone else get like this? How do you over come it? I got cellulitis and now it's even worse .... I've got a burn which is stressing me out, I've got a boil on my private parts that hurts, that's causing me huge stress .. anyone else? Help!!!

Re: Anyone else get anxiety over wounds on your skin? How to overcome it?

I see you’ve moved on from the belly button......

I feel like a broken record this morning, but Tan, are you getting help for your anxiety right now?

I'm going to sound like a broken record here but isn't this a place I can freely be myself? I'm concerned about something, people here have anxiety, regardless of medications or treatment anxiety is real and the issues we all face are real to us, regardless of how you see it, it's nice to find comfort in one another - this isn't a place to come too for judgement, or therapy - NMP is a place to come too to feel safe, understood and not judged, however more and more i'm feeling this place may no longer before me... what a shame.

It's a place to be supported, but not enabled, if that makes sense? I get that the atmosphere can be a bit robust, but people do mean well.

Edited now I'm at my desk: In my (fairly recent) experience, this is a really fantastic place to be if you want tips on managing and recovering from anxiety. I've genuinely never found people here anything less than utterly supportive. However, sometimes that involves comparing how somebody with anxiety might react to how somebody without it would - after all, wouldn't it be great for our anxiety to be diminished, or even gone entirely?

This is a goal that a lot of people here are working really hard towards, and I can assure you, it's well worth it. A part of it, however, involves challenging irrational thought processes.
    Last edited by BlueIris; 23-05-19 at 08:40.

I’ll be a bit repetitive to BlueIris here but my take is this......

Anyone who’s overcome anxiety or HA specifically knows that reassurance doesn’t help an ounce. That you can be told 1 billion times that you’re fine, don’t worry, it won’t hurt you, etc etc, but it’s meaningless. So by people challenging you, and forcing you to look within yourself, they actually are being supportive, whether you realize it or not.

Providing on demand reassurance is absolutely a disservice.

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    I’ll be a bit repetitive to BlueIris here but my take is this......

Anyone who’s overcome anxiety or HA specifically knows that reassurance doesn’t help an ounce. That you can be told 1 billion times that you’re fine, don’t worry, it won’t hurt you, etc etc, but it’s meaningless. So by people challenging you, and forcing you to look within yourself, they actually are being supportive, whether you realize it or not.

Providing on demand reassurance is absolutely a disservice.
    I agree with this. As much as someone may perceive being challenged with facts about their irrationality as un-supportive, it's fact and reality. I understand that to the sufferer it seems real but the reality is quite different and the solution is often just common sense.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information