Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Going back to therapy

Re: Going back to therapy

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Middle of June for the next one.

I do like travelling but I suffer a travel anxiety. I have a fear of single leg long journeys.
    I always take both my legs

Phil here's a thought for a hobby. How about selling some of your stuff on Ebay or similar sites? Like the excess wedding trousers for instance. Anything you think is dirty, instead of chucking it away, you could potentially get back a few quid. Just a thought

But over all I Duno what I got out of therapry I now own 6 pairs of wedding trousers and I had 3 pairs of shoes for the stag. I am excessively buying I won’t explain in detail why I do that plenty and can’t be bothered tonight but I worry something is dirty and rebuy and I rebuy. Must be the buzz of buying new.
    I don't sense that you get a buzz out of buying something new.You are driven by a compulsion to get things "right" and there is no pleasure involved. It's an exhausting ritual of searching for something you can tolerate at best?

But over all I Duno what I got out of therapry I now own 6 pairs of wedding trousers and I had 3 pairs of shoes for the stag. I am excessively buying I won’t explain in detail why I do that plenty and can’t be bothered tonight but I worry something is dirty and rebuy and I rebuy. Must be the buzz of buying new.
    So reading between the lines you think that therapy is a waste of money.

You have not got anything out of therapy because you have yet to try the techniques which were suggested to you.

Your therapist cannot stop behaviour that you have practiced for 13 years in a few sessions, indeed she cannot stop the behaviour at all.

It is up to YOU to make the effort to not spend hours upon hours ruminating about your OCD.

Find a computer game that relaxes you and takes your mind off other things, listen and sing along to music, get a colouring in book.

The possibilities are endless and you do not have to spend a lot of money.

There are various mindfulness techniques which can stop brain chatter, but you need to practice them. I have one that I find great, I generally use it when I am having trouble sleeping but it also works brilliantly if my brain wants to keep going on and on about something that is bothering me.

It is time to make an effort and report back on what you are doing to help yourself and not keep posting about your contamination issues.

Good luck.

I don't sense that you get a buzz out of buying something new.You are driven by a compulsion to get things "right" and there is no pleasure involved. It's an exhausting ritual of searching for something you can tolerate at best?
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    That's what I see. Phil's therapist seems to be pursuing more the impulse route.

Perhaps phil can tell us whether he gets a rush/buzz from buying? But as I've mentioned before I've also had this and I think mental health being so complex and overlapping it is easy to label yourself into other categories whilst forgetting completely mentally healthy people also get a buzz...women in shoes/clothes shops for a start

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post
    So reading between the lines you think that therapy is a waste of money.

You have not got anything out of therapy because you have yet to try the techniques which were suggested to you.

Your therapist cannot stop behaviour that you have practiced for 13 years in a few sessions, indeed she cannot stop the behaviour at all.

It is up to YOU to make the effort to not spend hours upon hours ruminating about your OCD.

Find a computer game that relaxes you and takes your mind off other things, listen and sing along to music, get a colouring in book.

The possibilities are endless and you do not have to spend a lot of money.

There are various mindfulness techniques which can stop brain chatter, but you need to practice them. I have one that I find great, I generally use it when I am having trouble sleeping but it also works brilliantly if my brain wants to keep going on and on about something that is bothering me.

It is time to make an effort and report back on what you are doing to help yourself and not keep posting about your contamination issues.

Good luck.
    ^ this.

I have become worried about the tarmac on the ground outside my house. It may sound trivial but the wheelie bins go outside and the bin contained a toilet plunger. If I get furniture delivered and they hit the ground it could contaminate my house. Sure I wear shoes and they come inside and sure they wet weather and snow will wash germs away but I still worry?

You still worry?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    You still worry?
    Yes that toilet plunger gives me all sorts of anxiety.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information