Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Going back to therapy

Re: Going back to therapy

The risk is I am replacing the handle I ordered it today but the issue is the germs have spread to the blind chord the phone the furniture everything touched after that door handle so I fear I may never feel clean again which is awful to feel that way.
    I think you should stop there Phil. You should not move on from talking about your Monday first therapy session which is about dealing with your contamination OCD, to then explaining that half your house is covered with germs. Firstly it isn't. Secondly, you are already sounding like the therapy isn't going to work, you are sounding defeated and as if you are giving in before even starting anything.
    Last edited by Carys; 23-05-19 at 22:23.

Aaaannnd... SSDD. BIWISI

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    My thinking is if I go back to see her it might work out cheaper than starting with a new therapist and needing 10-15 new sessions where as she knows my story so maybe 2-3 take it from there. Some therapists I met In the past never done proper Cbt she used workbooks and she tries different approaches. I believe if I never seen her last time the front door would have been replaced the reason is I had window sales men round and I was ready to book.

Problem is I use to see her and feel fine after a session but I would go and do a compulsion or replace something soon after. However that stopped after my compulsions failed.

So what does she need to help with?

*The believing something is forever contaminated
    *The replacing urge I still get.
    *Avoidance behaviour.
    *My fear of buying from some shops like my work or other shops that I developed a fear of with my dirty laundry and toilet germs these avoidances have got worse so I need help for it.

The reality is the belief something is forever contaminated I may not be able to shift that but I might be able to halt the urge to replace these items
    You feel better after a session because it could be you are reassured or just feeling better for offloading some of what is stuck in your head. For some therapy is hard to sit through and others feel relief. I wouldn't judge this too much because this something those without disorders may feel for being able to talk to someone, it's when it becomes something you feel you need (as in an obsessive way) that the relationship may need addressing by the therapist.

If she's qualified, assuming the BACP register and maybe BABCP accredited, she should know what is needed. She should also see that you have listed some scenarios there whereas the psychological drivers for them are really the issue and they need the work otherwise behaviours may shift to others available to the OCD spectrum.

The compulsions you would do after are just part of what she is trying to address. Nothing will change until you change it and she knows that is going to take time with some strategies.

I do think you need to be open to exposure work though. Just eliminating compulsions means exposure to feelings of being uncomfortable.

What a day I have had
    I collected my new handle it had to be a store 15 miles away as I worried about my local branch of Argos being dirty.
    anyway the ocd wasn’t the issue I tried to fit it myself and a washer fell out. I decided to get someone round to fit the handle but I had found out the handle was too damaged so he fitted the outside one and I have to order or wait for a replacement part for inside.

Plus ca change...

So why isn't it dirty now because someone else has touched it?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    So why isn't it dirty now because someone else has touched it?
    I only think it’s dirty if I witness them touching like say a bin?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Plus ca change...
    Comme d'habitude

But he could have gone to the loo before coming to you and not washed his hands

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

As I say not ideal to replace the handle but if it makes people feel better the door handle was very discoloured and going green and dirty anyway so if anything it makes the door look bit brighter.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information