Quote Originally Posted by Midnight-mouse View Post
I guess I would be one of those people, it’s absolute hell. Every time a letter comes through the front door I have to fear another assessment, another time I have to sit and justify my illnesses, scared out of my mind that they don’t believe me or that any progress I make can make me seem ‘not sick enough’ and poof! My only way of supporting myself and my husband is gone. Any time they can decide I’m ‘fit for work’ the same institution that nearly resulted in me ending my life. The reason I claim in the first place.

I apologise if this is out of line but being on benefits and having most of the country consider me to be lazy or faking for an easy life, this struck a cord with me.

I want nothing more than to support myself, but I have to do what’s best for my health. Be thankful of the position you’re in even if you don’t like it. I’m grateful each day that there’s benefits available to me, but I hate every minute of it. It’s not just wake up and enjoy the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear this Mousey

And as you will know it's a rabbit hole of it's own. It sucks you in. You do less because you have less and start retreating if you have mental health issues (and many do even though they don't or even develop them through the lack of esteem, routine and self worth).

Some seem at piece with not giving a toss about work but most see work as part of life and these people tend to feel shame for even claiming benefits. Then there is the media demonisation and political nonsense on top that feeds it all. But I know my dad's generation (in his seventies) found unemployment had a major stigma too and if you weren't working you weren't a man back then.

Sadly the bad apples always tarnish all the good ones. Anyone can find themselves in a situation like this due to the unexpected life throws at us. It's the reason I don't walk past a homeless person and judge them because I don't know if that will be me at some point.