Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to take this seriously....

Do I need to take this seriously....

Okay guys... today I was at the beach... my family kept feeding this squirrel that kept hanging around.. she was really thin but had what looked like her mammary glands hanging down from feeding babies...

Anyway.. I tried to stay away but then gave in - she came up next to me and I began to motion my hand down to throw chips at her... my other friend had been feeding her from his hand.. yeah no not me...

Anyway... she got eager and lunges forward to grab the chip from me.. it all happened so fast but her little hands grabbed my fingers and then I pulled them away...not sure what part of her touched me.. I don’t think her mouth.. definitely her hands tho...

My friend who is a nurse checked me and said he saw absolutely no breaks in the skin.

Do I need to worry about rabies?

The cdc says it’s incredibly rare in squirrels... and so do most other sites... but then there’s a few websites that say it’s rare but could happen... again no visible marks whatsoever..

Re: Do I need to take this seriously....

Seriously? No skin breakage and you are worried exactly about what? Plus, animals which are rabid are not friendly taking food from human hands - they bite to the bone. C'mon, please. I still have a sneaking suspicion you are joking.

Uh no... I wouldn’t take the time to write all that if I was joking....

No, you have absolutely no need to worry about rabies whatsoever.

No, nothing to worry about.

I used to love feeding the squirrels at a local park, I had one that would wait for me in the mornings. Never got to feed one directly by hand though so I’m jealous of that!

Positive vibes

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thank you for helping out a hungry mama squirrel

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

There is greater chance that little squirrel gets rabies from you

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you guys for your replies... I know... I’m really trying not to worry.. I’ve read that it’s very very rare and the cdc doesn’t even recognize them as carrying vectors, but to check with local agencies just in case...... I just need to keep telling myself that..

Nope, go ahead and relax. I rescued a bunch of baby squirrels years ago and raised them to adulthood. Once they were released into my yard they would come visit me and take peanuts from my hand, and one day one of them bit my finger in the process. Broke the skin, I bled, but didn't bother having it checked out. I just cleaned it well and carried on, and I'm still alive.
    Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information