Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety caused by bowel movement?

Anxiety caused by bowel movement?

Hi there
    For quite some time now I have this strange thing where I have like panic attack symptoms just before I have a bm. When I go it then takes a while to calm down.
    What I find strange is that I can be relaxing, reading or whatever and I suddenly go all anxious and it always ends in a bm, so that makes me think that something activates in my body just before bowel movements.
    Anyone experience anyrhing similar? Any ideas?
    Thanks for reading and hopefuly someone can reply as I'm getting quite worried xx

Re: Anxiety caused by bowel movement?

YES!!!
    But I only face those symptoms cos I definitely have IBS or something, these days I have consistent anxiety cos Im scared that I'll get d* (Ive been super stressed lately.)
    However, like today, I knew it wasnt gonna be d* (I took Imodium two days ago so its calmed my stomach down) and I was perfectly relaxed all day.

Do you get d* ? the urge could be causing anxiety!

Wow, I posted about this somewhere years ago and didn't find anyone else who ever experienced this, but I do! I am 90% sure mine is related to blood sugar levels. I'm not a diabetic but I think I'm a reactive hypoglycemic in which my blood glucose levels changes too drastically, too fast. So this used to happen EVERY DAY at lunch. I would be happily eating my lunch, then I would get a wave of dizziness, which turned into a panic attack, and then I would have to rush to the bathroom. Now granted I may be especially susceptible to this last part since I have colitis, but I couldn't figure out why there was always a wave of dizziness and anxiety right before the mad rush. It really does seem like a reaction to eating, then the insulin kicks in, too much, and then it leaves me too quickly and I'm wiped out for a while. Eating a low carb diet pretty much eliminated the problem so I think I'm onto something... not sure if it could be your issue, too.
    Sue

Thanks for your replies ...jalapeno I don't have D* although docs have mentioned I might have IBS since I have lots of strange symptoms but nothing shows up on the colonoscopy. Dusting I have wondered about sugar levels as if I have a glass of water with sugar in it I seem to recover much quicker so I might have to give the low carb diet a try as my main food intake are carbs.
    Thanks again

Panic attacks before bowel movements

Hi everyone
    I wrote about this in the past but didn't get many replies so trying again because it's still hapoening.
    I can be going about my business feeling fine and all of a sudden I feel like a rush all over my body and a feeling that I need a bm, I start to sweat, shake, go weak and my heart rate increases, I get a horrible feeling like of panicky doom. Then when I have the bm everything goes back to normal. Sometimes right away and other times it takes a while longer.
    In fact the longer I take to get to a loo the longer the symptoms take to subside afterwards.
    Has anyone ever had this? Any clues as to what it might be?
    Thanks in advance!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Sure sounds like an adrenaline release to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi sial72, I've been trying to find out what might be causing the symptoms you explain as I've started experiencing them recently. My heart rate starts to increase; I start to feel hotter, I can feel adrenaline releasing in my chest area; I feel panicky with anxiety thoughts - I go for a BM and gradually things calm down - I can feel my heart changing it's rhythm as it starts to slow down. I can sometimes feel a bit weak and also slightly cold after as well.

It is definitely associated with a BM because I can be quite relaxed when I feel the adrenaline begin to release in my chest, followed by the other symptoms. I am aware that anxiety or panic can cause bowel movements as I have suffered from anxiety on and off for years, but this is happaning the other way around - it's the BM causing the anxiety.

I have ulcerative colitis and I keep a food, symptoms, meds diary which I have been looking at to try and spot why these symptoms may have started happening. It's quite difficult to see any correlation with anything in particular (which is a shame, because I'd be happy to cut out any offending food if it removed the symptoms).

It has also started waking me up in the night as well, with the same symptoms occurring at various times.

Have you any thoughts on why it may be happening e.g. your diet, a lifestyle change etc.?

Yes, most defiantly anxiety is the pits for bowel motions! If you have IBS then anxiety magnifies it and I find that food just flies through my system...with an explosive whoosh!! Anxiety (with adrenaline) revs (speeds) up the digestive system and the BM can be lighter in colour (and float) because it doesn't have time to fully complete the digestive process. I'm so familiar with this effect !!

Quote Originally Posted by wavey View Post
    Hi sial72, I've been trying to find out what might be causing the symptoms you explain as I've started experiencing them recently. My heart rate starts to increase; I start to feel hotter, I can feel adrenaline releasing in my chest area; I feel panicky with anxiety thoughts - I go for a BM and gradually things calm down - I can feel my heart changing it's rhythm as it starts to slow down. I can sometimes feel a bit weak and also slightly cold after as well.

It is definitely associated with a BM because I can be quite relaxed when I feel the adrenaline begin to release in my chest, followed by the other symptoms. I am aware that anxiety or panic can cause bowel movements as I have suffered from anxiety on and off for years, but this is happaning the other way around - it's the BM causing the anxiety.

I have ulcerative colitis and I keep a food, symptoms, meds diary which I have been looking at to try and spot why these symptoms may have started happening. It's quite difficult to see any correlation with anything in particular (which is a shame, because I'd be happy to cut out any offending food if it removed the symptoms).

It has also started waking me up in the night as well, with the same symptoms occurring at various times.

Have you any thoughts on why it may be happening e.g. your diet, a lifestyle change etc.?
    Hi Wavey, yes it's exactly how you describe it. I've also had anxiety for years and I know that it's the bm causing the symptoms and not the other way round. I had a clear colonoscopy 2 years ago so don't know...if you look on Health Unlocked there is a thread called something like panic attacks before bm and there are a number of people on there who experience this and a few theories about it too (vagus nerve, low blood sugar, candida, etc etc). I'm now trying with probiotics as someone said they had helped him.
    All I know is that I'm having a very bad time with it and I keep trying to find someone who might have answers.
    Will let you know if I do get any x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information