Thread: Scared I’m going to die in my sleep

Scared I’m going to die in my sleep

I was just reading this article about an 18 year old girl giving her baby up for adoption and it mentioned how the father died in his sleep (for no reason I’m presuming since a cause wasn’t mentioned). I’m around the same age and it has sent me into a massive freak out and I’m terrified I’m just going to suddenly die while sleeping. Now I’m also scared I won’t sleep (I have huge anxiety about not sleeping). Any small thing is setting me off lately and I just feel so unsafe in this horrible world.

please someone help me calm down.

Re: Scared I’m going to die in my sleep

I understand, I think it’s quite a common anxiety. But as awful as it was, it’s not your life, it is not your story. Relaxation techniques and distractions could help you here, do you know any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are not them. That is a completely different story.

You need to be looking at ways of helping yourself - what help are you getting?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I can’t afford to get help. I’m not working and still in college. I have OCD, HA and severe social anxiety that’s probably going to stop me working. My Anxiety has gradually been getting worse this year probably because getting a job is approaching fast and that’s my worst nightmare. My mums an alcoholic who wastes all her money on pointless stuff, she can’t afford to get me help. My grandparents are both sick but paying off her debt repeatedly. I would just be another burden on top of what my family are already worrying about.

Im trying to help myself like I always do but it’s not working everyday I worrying about something new health wise recently. Just when I have a good day something else comes along to ruin it. I don’t know what to do. And yes my family are aware of my anxiety but anytime I bring it up they act like I’m stressing them out/ruining their lives and just get angry at each other and tell me to stop being pathetic.

To put things into perspective here, I would like to mention a few things.

Just because a cause of death wasn't mentioned, doesn't mean to say there wasn't one. For every person that does die young in their sleep there are (literally) billions that don't. The numbers are in your favour.

The second thing I'd like to mention is that you are not a burden. Your Mother is the burden, on you. To be an alcoholic parent is a disgrace, and as much as you love her I think you need to see it that way. It's almost certainly the main cause of your anxiety, because it's unpredictable and extremely stressful to you. You are not ruining their lives, she is ruining yours.

You don't need money to get help though.

We have loads of free resources on here that you could use and the NHS CBT is free.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    You don't need money to get help though.

We have loads of free resources on here that you could use and the NHS CBT is free.
    Don’t wanna say where exactly I am but we are not covered by the NHS here. It’s £50 a doctors visit and £60-£200 a therapy visit and that’s even if they refer which they often don’t. I will however try some of the free resources on here. Thanks.

I've had this exact fear! Sometimes I still struggle with it. It's scary but like others have said people sometimes they leave out details! I know it's a struggle but when I read other people stories I'm like this is me. This is going to be me. But we all have different stories.

I'm sorry to hear about the struggles with your family life, you seem so lovely and sweet to me. If you ever need to talk feel free to drop me a dm x

Thread Information