Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline diary

Sertraline diary

Thought I would create a little memoir for people, I know when I started my dose of sertraline I spent hours searching for side effects, how long it takes to work and reviews etc.

Started on 50mg 13/05/19
    Day 1: worst day of my life, I was anxious, thought I was going crazy, felt sick, couldn’t sleep at all, felt like every vein in my body was on fire. And had loose bowel movements every half hour
    Day 2: much of the same except I slept a little that night. Still hadn’t eaten any food except I did drink a lot of milk ( trust me this is a life saver)
    Day 3,4,5 : lots of anxiety, new intrusive thoughts that I never had before, compulsions through the roof
    Day 6-10 : evenings were a little better but I was drained and starting to become very depressed, loose bowels stopped and started eating again
    Day 11: the plan was always to up to 100mg as it was what I was always on before. Decided to take the plunge and get it over with, no gradual increase, wasn’t too bad, bit of the burny veins, appetite went again though
    Day 12-13: low mood, very tearful, 0 energy, constantly failing asleep and waking up in a panic,

Which brings me up to today
    Day 14

Still had a morning panic attack and still general morning anxiety and depression but Appetite starting to return, mood has lifted slightly, intrusive thought is still there but today it’s been a bit easier to accept ( I know though that this isn’t the end of that one, it will come and go in intensity for another couple of weeks)
    Feel a bit more positive tonight, still very very tired.

Will update this regularly just so that people can see exactly what to expect, I know this is the answers I wanted when I started ( even though this is my fourth time on SSRI you would think I would know what to expect)

You are NOT going crazy, it really is the drug. Believe it, don’t doubt it, but please if you feel suicidal please seek help immediately

EDIT just to say, I suffer generalised anxiety disorder and ocd ( which both in turn cause depression if I let them get out of control)

Re: Sertraline diary

Day 15
    ( 5 days on 100mg)

Had a day off work, woke up lots in the night, but got back to sleep, 7:30 I was up for good, mild anxiety attack, took my pills and 1mg diazepam.
    Spent the whole day laying in bed, 0 motivation to do anything. Couldn’t eat again.
    Had some issues with intrusive thoughts around 3pm; couldn’t shake them ( my current thought is what if I slept with this guy that I kissed 12 years ago and don’t remember) yes I was with my now husband, he also knows about this, and knows about my thoughts but frequently tells me it’s not true, which is correct as this thought only came to me 6 days ago whilst I was on medication.
    Went for a shower, calmed down a bit, finally had dinner and another half diazepam and feel better. Not great, the thought is still there trying to get my attention but I’m finding it easier to swat it away than I did 6 hours ago.
    To all who are doing this journey I am with you every step of the way.

Ok two days update

Day 16
    6 days on 100mg

I woke up so so sick yesterday but the panic was better, around 11 started getting very dopey but could have been the diazepam too.
    Appetite started to come back, evening was a bit better too, much less intrusive thoughts. Still waking up super early

Day 17
    7 days on 100mg

Still woke up early, didn’t wake up in a blind panic but was agitated however had my first cbt so was nervous about that, cried a little during therapy, was told I have severe ocd and GAD which I knew but that it was causing major depression, also guessed this.
    Went to work, boss came back from AL and he told me he wanted me to take the rest of the week off as my performance over the last two weeks has been poor. He wasn’t doing it to be mean, he’s doing it out of kindness and said he just wants me to rest and get my head back together. Cried a little then too
    Anyways stayed at work to help with some stuff and I noticed my mood starting to shift, I laughed a couple times, and tonight the intrusive thought that’s been causing waves of panic I found only popped in my head every hour rather than every three minutes.
    Tonight I’m also very calm, I still get the thought but it seems like it’s from a different part of me, one that scares me but at the same time I realise it’s irrational.
    This is the best evening and afternoon I’ve had in the last 17 days, looks like the pills are finally working

Still a few loose bowels and mild nausea but my goodness I’m hungry and eating again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinguanxious View Post
    Ok two days update

Day 16
    6 days on 100mg

I woke up so so sick yesterday but the panic was better, around 11 started getting very dopey but could have been the diazepam too.
    Appetite started to come back, evening was a bit better too, much less intrusive thoughts. Still waking up super early

Day 17
    7 days on 100mg

Still woke up early, didn’t wake up in a blind panic but was agitated however had my first cbt so was nervous about that, cried a little during therapy, was told I have severe ocd and GAD which I knew but that it was causing major depression, also guessed this.
    Went to work, boss came back from AL and he told me he wanted me to take the rest of the week off as my performance over the last two weeks has been poor. He wasn’t doing it to be mean, he’s doing it out of kindness and said he just wants me to rest and get my head back together. Cried a little then too
    Anyways stayed at work to help with some stuff and I noticed my mood starting to shift, I laughed a couple times, and tonight the intrusive thought that’s been causing waves of panic I found only popped in my head every hour rather than every three minutes.
    Tonight I’m also very calm, I still get the thought but it seems like it’s from a different part of me, one that scares me but at the same time I realise it’s irrational.
    This is the best evening and afternoon I’ve had in the last 17 days, looks like the pills are finally working

Still a few loose bowels and mild nausea but my goodness I’m hungry and eating again.
    Your boss sounds like a cool guy for giving you the week off. Sounds like you're coming through now. I had crazy drowsiness and tiredness past 3 days where I could hardly move or do anything but today I'm back to normal it seems.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Ok little update

Panic attacks have stopped
    Still a little restless in the mornings but I find it goes quickly

Seem to be suffering with some fo of apathy at the moment, not happy, not sad, just not bothered, no motivation to do anything. Still getting a lot of rumination so I’m practising acceptance to try and dull that down.
    One loose bowel in the morning after taking my tablets and can’t eat lots as I get full very quickly but I am hungry again.
    Been on 100mg for 11 days now. Got my review with the doctor tomorrow.
    Compared to 3 weeks ago I would say there’s a massive reduction in the panic and anxiety, the depression is the same I would say except for the crying. The ocd, has improved somewhat maybe 20%

I’m putting it down to the dose increase, so I’ll be doing another month on these then I’ll have done 6 weeks at 100mg and can then decide if it’s just another dose increase ( realised I was at 150mg last time not 100)

Oh sleep, still waking up a lot! Dreams vivid. But today I’d say I’m up to about 6 hours of sleep now.

And I get very dopey halfway through the day and by evening I’m practically normal!
    Hope everyone is doing well!

I can totally relate to the flat feelings. That's exactly how I feel. This weekend has been tough for me. Tired ALL of the time and sleeping a lot. Also major lack of motivation. By the evening I seem to wake up and become alive.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

How you feeling now wired?

Ok so 13 days since the increase to 100mg 23 days since starting total.

Things have been getting better, I’m functioning through the day better. I went back to work yesterday and actually got quite a bit done.
    Still experiencing some fatigue and started getting headaches in the evening but that could be tiredness too.
    Sleep wise it’s not the best but not the worst, the vivid dreams are killer, last two mornings my dreams have shocked me awake, takes a good 20 minutes to calm down again but after that I’m generally fine.
    Apathy seems to be lifting, still not getting overly excited but I don’t feel like a zombie any more.
    Nausea has gone, loose bowels have mostly gone.
    Still a lot of background noise in my head but it’s much easier to just let it be there, still practising not getting into debates with my own brain.
    Apart from the morning jolts I’m not having any overwhelming panic. Some low level anxiety that’s easy to manage, depression fog is starting to lift. Ocd is improving in the sense that I’m realising I don’t have to perform compulsions, although sometimes difficult to ignore I can ignore easier.
    Best get off to work. Will keep updating

If your just starting sertraline there is hope! I know 50mg wouldn’t have worked for me Hense the early increase. Do not give up hope people!

That's great news Pinguanxious! I'm doing well thank you, feel much better than I did over the weekend. My doctor suggested 150mg and seems keen to move me up and I agree with him. I've started to get little bouts of anxiety and some intrusive thoughts but nothing major. I'm definitely so much better than I was so I have to thank these medications for helping get back on track.

Great to hear you're back at work and everything is going well.

☪️️

16 days since the increase to 100mg
    3.5 weeks in total since starting sertraline

All loose bowels stopped
    Nausea is gone ( I do still get a bit of pain if I take the pills on an empty stomach)
    Apathy has gone
    Still find myself zoning out a little.
    Managing to focus on work really easy,
    Haven’t had a panic attack in about a week
    Still lack a bit of motivation but I just do it anyways and once I’ve started I’m fine.
    Sleep still a bit messed up, but I’ve been managing to sleep in a little, wake up at 5:30 but can get back to sleep,
    When I wake up in the morning I’m agitated and have massive tremors but these calm down within maybe half hour. But I do find I can become a little fidgety and agitated during the day but not in a panic sense.
    Intrusive thoughts still in the background of my mind but they feel almost like a bad dream and like they are detached from me.
    Had two sessions of cbt and we are starting erp next week for the ocd.

All in all sertraline has once again saved my life. Don’t think I’ll be coming off again in a hurry.

One thing I’ve noticed is a small increase in headaches, and my heart is faster than normal even at rest but I’ll keep an eye on it!

Hope everyone is doing ok! Stay positive.
    The tiredness by the way, still there I just power through it

Hey! I'm 4.5 weeks into 50mg Sert now and I'm doing a lot better than I was, although I still have my moments. I'm glad that they're working well for you I've had an increase in headaches too and vivid dreams have been insane!! I'll be meeting with my doctor in a few weeks to discuss possibly upping dose. She thinks we'll need to but I feel as though I'm doing alright now. xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information