Thread: Life controlled by anxiety and fear

Life controlled by anxiety and fear

Hi all,

My name is Nick. I'm 25 years old.

I'm an Australian who has battled anxiety since I was about 16, but I've been battling an awful wave of it for the last year or so. I decided to pack up and relocate to England with my girlfriend to challenge myself after two or three years of solid mental health last May. This was the worst possible decision for my mental health.

I've developed an awful fear of many things and my anxiety is bordering on slipping into full blown panic disorder. I think my anxiety stems from my father's premature death (he had a heart condition). Since he passed (in Jan 2016) I've had an irrational fear of heart-related illness. I'm a type one diabetic as well and have always been taught to be conscious of my body and how I'm feeling - which is necessary but an absolute evil as I notice every nook and cranny. This contributes massively to health anxiety. I'm seeking therapy but in the UK, it's difficult to find and is certainly not a cheap exercise.

I love my girlfriend so much and I don't want to alienate her with my irrational fears and worries. I know they're stupid but they control my life.

I've also developed a massive fear of being trapped in enclosed spaces. I've overcome a lot of this and have made progress, however, the thought of flying still frightens me to death. I think I want to come home to Australia, however I don't know if I can make the long journey trapped on a plane. I'm not scared of flying in a plane - I know it will land safely - it's being trapped and not being able to call an ambulance or get medical help if something happens to me. That scares me

Trying to fight this off but my god it's tiring.

Thanks for reading xo

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya nick1994 and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and
    are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and
    support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Life controlled by anxiety and fear

So sorry to hear about your father's passing. Can understand how profoundly this must have affected you. Have you considered grief counselling, as I think much of your anxiety is rooted in your loss? What sort of therapy were you contemplating? NMP also recommends an online CBT prog which is free: https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...g-at-CBT4Panic

Feel free to start a thread about your problems and welcome to NMP.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Re: Life controlled by anxiety and fear

So sorry for what you’re going through. Please try the links that KK gave you, they might surprise you by how helpful they are.
    I’m really pleased you’re seeking help. A problem shared is a problem halved and all that, which is why it might be good to explain to your girlfriend how you’re feeling, I bet she knows more than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information