Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electricity or food

Electricity or food

I've got £24 to last me until 10th June, my next UC payment. I'm running out of food, and my electricity pay as you go meter is almost out of credit. My house is all electric.
    I rang the most useless power company in the UK and told them I would be without electricity within a few days so would be unable to even charge up my phone, not good when you live alone.
    They said because they'd helped already within the past 12 months ( by adding a bit more onto the debt I owe them.... long story) there was nothing more they can do.
    I asked them if they were going to leave a 61 year old widow with mental and physical health issues wirhout power for 2 weeks and they said yes.
    I'm struggling at the moment..... mentally and physically

Re: Electricity or food

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Is there anyone you can call on for some help - either with some money to cover the bills or with a place to stay?

Sorry to hear this, Phuzella.

- could they reduce the daily debt the meter is collecting, if only for a short time and re-review it in x days, so that is lets you spread your money further? Some may have to visit for this, it depends on the meter a lot of the time, but newer key meters should allow the daily standing charge and debt to be adjusted via the tillpoint (whenever you pay they do updates this way, if needed).

- some food banks offer small credits as well as food.

- are there any schemes on your local authority website to help people who have fallen below the fuel poverty line?

- did you speak to a call centre advisor? If so, get to a manager instead. They have a standard set of rules to follow and a manager can do more for you.

- can you access any short term grants via benefits schemes e.g. hardship payments?

- are the daily standing charges on your invoice matching to the ones on the meter? Sometimes they get our of synch and suppliers are supposed to send out an engineer to perform a reset but things get missed (a lot, and in the past there have been big industry issued over this with the regulator).

- are you on the Priority Services Register (PSR)? They may think twice if they see you are as it makes you a vulnerable customer.

I just wrote a really long reply but it disappeared :(.
    Thanks for your replies .
    Terry I've tried all the things you mentioned. Nothing available in my area apparently. Typical. I guess I'll open another complaint with them, it won't help but I'll try. Austerity Britain at it's finest. If I'd received my state pension at 60, like the 1950s women were promised, i wouldn't be in this mess. And there are thousands worse off than me.
    I might try to access my nearest food bank today. That will mean an 8 mile round trip walking. Won't get much though as I'll have to carry what I can in my trusty backpack

You mentioned a long story about a debt added to that meter. If they in any way caused that build up then you could argue the repayment plan is too much, a failure on there part and possibly get them to spread it further or do something temporary.

They will want to collect it within 12 months but there is always scope to spread further, it's just a bit more work and for complaints rather than allowing call centre staff to be too loose. It's going to depend by company as to what policies they have on this and how willing they are to stick to them.

Getting to a sympathetic human being rather than someone who's is just cashing their paycheck can mean getting better help.

The emergency credit can also be used up.

It's horrible to be in a situation like this, many staff in these companies (just considering my experience when I worked in it) felt bad and want to help. I've seen many customers lumbered in debt due to cobble ups that shouldn't have happened and many staff know the company is shite due to seeing it everyday so want to help if they can.

So sorry that you’re in this position. I second making a complaint or speaking to a manager because it might help even though it’s so wearing.

Have you contacted your local Age Concern or CAB for help? I’m sure you already have lots of strategies for keeping the electric costs download, but someone like Age Concern may be able to help you with going through your income and making sure that you are receiving everything you’re entitled to. Often the help is out there but you need someone in the know to find it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phuzella,sorry you are struggling both mentally and physically, I feel for you
    Does the Salvation Army,like over here help pay electricity and food?I know they did hear because they helped me out when I was in a situation where I couldn’t pay,Or is there other organisations that can help you.
    Stay positive

Phuzella, I'm so sorry that you are in this dreadful situation. Do you have any family who could help you out financially? I know you probably don't want to ask but this is awful and you shouldn't be in this situation when you are vulnerable.Do you receive a widow's pension? There might well be other benefits to which you are entitled?

While you have net access, would crowdfunding be an option?

It's really bad form from the supplier to me considering how little (but not to Phuzella) this is likely to be when you deduct any daily debt recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information