Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electricity or food

Re: Electricity or food

Thank you all for your kind replies. My tablet is playing up a bit at the min so I'll reply when it's had a rest .

I've been in this situation before. It's horrible. What city do you live in? I can try to locate food banks for you. I will happily send you £10 if you'd accept a bank transfer. I don't usually do this but I've seen you around and I know you're honest.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Hiya Phuzella, Have a check to see if there is an independent food bank in your area which doesn't need a refferal if not then maybe head to your GP and ask if you can be refered to a food bank.... they are great places and places that are there to help people in your position..... Dont feel bad about asking people for help, it is exactly what they are there for xx

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thanks for all the kind comments . I've actually been in contact with a food bank near me and they said can help me. I've spoken to the power company and they're supposed to be ringing me back tomorrow after the lady I spoke to has spoken to her manager.
    I also have a phone number for my local Age uk to see if I'm entitled to any more benefits.
    Once again thanks to everyone for your kind words, it means a lot

That's good to hear, Phuzella.

With you being in summer months I was wondering whether they had dumped you in some kind of debt and are collecting aggressively when they are at fault and should be more forgiving. No need to discuss it if you don't want to but I've seen so many people put into debt due to cobble ups and they don't always realise how much of a case they have to make the company grovel. People suddenly put into debt could end up as high level complaints and I've seen (from the other side) how sometimes dodgy managers, and dodgy company policies, try to get people to pay up when they know they shouldn't.

Call centres may have a 2nd line call back service. They prefer to keep the incoming calls flowing. This can mean what is sold as a manager call back might just be a more senior graded advisor. So, it doesn't have to stop there. And a complaints team beyond them will have more scope to make agreements as their worry is stopping escalating complaints (even they mess low level complaints around and rush around like blue ar5ed flies when it gets to a pre-ombudsman stage, at least where I've worked )

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzella View Post
    Thanks for all the kind comments . I've actually been in contact with a food bank near me and they said can help me. I've spoken to the power company and they're supposed to be ringing me back tomorrow after the lady I spoke to has spoken to her manager.
    I also have a phone number for my local Age uk to see if I'm entitled to any more benefits.
    Once again thanks to everyone for your kind words, it means a lot
    I used to work at age uk and they are really helpful. Hopefully they can arrange a benefit check with you.
    Wishing you lots of luck, keep us posted x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all the words of advice and offers of help I received from you lovely folks on here.
    I'm the end I called DWP to see if they could help. They gave me an advance UC payment to be paid back over 12 months. Not ideal but at least I can put the kettle on lol. The thieving energy company would not budge an inch from their policy of not helping people out. They must keep their profits up for the shareholders I assume.
    Thank you all xxxxxxxx

What about the citizens advice? Would they not step in on your behalf and make some phone calls to the energy company.

I agree though, their priorities lie with their share holders, 100%

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    What about the citizens advice? Would they not step in on your behalf and make some phone calls to the energy company.

I agree though, their priorities lie with their share holders, 100%
    I don't know about now but when I was in the industry >5 years ago (for over a decade) we did sometimes deal with them but they were more likely to be dealing on behalf of someone with more severe issues who needed a guardian. There are legal arguments for when they can because the supplier has to be wary of the Data Protection Act.

The trouble with the CAB is more that they are so swamped they can take time to access. But I would always agree and say speak to them.

For me, the problems lie with the senior management. Shareholders move around, senior management drive policy, like you say it's sadly all about profit. That and the lack of real governance of the industry as Gordon Brown weakened regulatory control when he was Chancellor of the Exchequer which caused Ofgem to be downgraded. With stuff like this the suppliers ended up banding together to self regulate and I can tell you from experience many a senior manager tried it on with customers in debt when it opposed there own code of ethics under self regulation. Issues with PP, customer complaints and the vulnerable have all escalated over the years though leading to greater protections. They used to try to back bill people many years missing consumption and customers less likely to stick up for themselves would get shafted out of their legal entitlements...something many a scrupulous staff member was keen to prevent

Glad to hear you have some cover, Phuzella. If you feel up to it a written complaint might get somewhere even if it's some form of small ex gratia payment which might help?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information