Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulse rate constantly fluctuating, resting around 100-125bpm

Re: Pulse rate constantly fluctuating, resting around 100-125bpm

Yeah i'm willing to give whatever a try

It's ruined my year so far I just feel so lost

Is there any good links for some CBT advice while I wait til I get mine?

Really appreciate the advice dude

Quote Originally Posted by Cublad0121 View Post
    Yeah i'm willing to give whatever a try

It's ruined my year so far I just feel so lost

Is there any good links for some CBT advice while I wait til I get mine?

Really appreciate the advice dude
    This bit in particular is common, it's hard to know what to do. Rest assured that there are plenty of ways to beat it without medication, I did myself.

I would start with this book. It's not CBT, but mindfulness and meditation are a key technique in not letting sensation ruin your life. It'll help teach you to live WITH what your body is doing until it recovers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness.../dp/074995308X

In terms of CBT, this is a website that's linked to a lot here

http://cbt4panic.org/

I believe CBT works better with a therapist, because you will have a third party re-confirming thought patterns you'll instinctively find hard yourself. For example, you'll be experiencing chest pain, throbbing temples and a rapid heart rate. Of course YOU will want to panic about it, but CBT tells you to mentally say 'so what'. In that respect it's good to have a coach, but you can still familiarise yourself with the concept. Mindfulness and meditation are easier to fly solo with, and are incredibly powerful.

None of this overrides a thorough medical check up though, there are multiple benign causes for what you're experiencing too that could be exacerbated by your anxiety, so best cover all bases and then start the journey knowing you're medically 'safe'.

Awesome I will check both of them out

In terms of medical checkups, over the past two months I think I've had

More ECG's than Hot dinners
    Every blood test possible
    MRI Brain Scan

Just waiting on my 24 hour tape to see what this pulse thing is all about

My GP makes a weekly appointment for me until a therapist is available which is good of him

If you've had blood tests and ECG's since your heart rate issues, it's highly unlikely anything is wrong. Adrenaline can spike it up over 150bpm easily. When I used to get really bad anxiety it was worst at night where I would regularly wake up to 150bpm. It can be beaten though!

Blood tests all come back clean and the mri did

The ECG's showed a small sinus arrythmia but nothing major

They just couldn't work out why my pulse is jumping about like mad

I'm more than ready to beat this!

At my stressiest (word?!) I was in A&E half a dozen times with tachycardia. Each time stuck over 120bpm with no apparent cause. I simply got shrugs and sent home. Sometimes it was stuck there for a day or two. Stress and anxiety can play havoc with your CNS, so it's therefore a good idea to start there and begin the journey of calming it down yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    At my stressiest (word?!) I was in A&E half a dozen times with tachycardia. Each time stuck over 120bpm with no apparent cause. I simply got shrugs and sent home. Sometimes it was stuck there for a day or two. Stress and anxiety can play havoc with your CNS, so it's therefore a good idea to start there and begin the journey of calming it down yourself.
    Hi AJ, just thought I'd jump into this thread because on friday night I also experienced a racing heartbeat. I'm not sure how fast it was, because my panic and anxiety about it was distracting me from being able to count properly. I would say it felt around 90-100bpm, certainly not 120bpm because that would mean 2 beats per second and it wasn't that fast. I was getting worried and stressed about money on Friday night before the spike, a chat with a friend about tax etc freaked me out. Next thing at home I noticed my heart rate had increased and felt faster. It stayed like that until 11am the morning after - around 12 hours of it.

Pretty worried about a-fib now. Had en ECG at the docs 2 weeks ago because I expressed worry about my heart and he referred me to a cardio as well, which hasn't come through yet.

I'm just concerned because I tried deep breathing and lying down, which neither worked in brining it down and the fact I went to bed and woke up with it.

If you're stressing about things and your adrenaline is high, then you start stressing more about your heart rate being high...it could easily stay over 90bpm for hours on end. Breathing exercises are good for controlling panic, but only really keep anxiety at bay in the short term. If you're constantly worried about money (interestingly that's what triggered my worst bout of anxiety too), then you will feel constant pressure.

The best thing to do in my experience is try and re-evaluate how you're thinking about the financial situation rather than dealing with the symptom of your worry (in this case anxiety). Play the mental long game, break down what you can do about your financial situation into small, manageable chunks. That's the only way I found to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    If you're stressing about things and your adrenaline is high, then you start stressing more about your heart rate being high...it could easily stay over 90bpm for hours on end. Breathing exercises are good for controlling panic, but only really keep anxiety at bay in the short term. If you're constantly worried about money (interestingly that's what triggered my worst bout of anxiety too), then you will feel constant pressure.

The best thing to do in my experience is try and re-evaluate how you're thinking about the financial situation rather than dealing with the symptom of your worry (in this case anxiety). Play the mental long game, break down what you can do about your financial situation into small, manageable chunks. That's the only way I found to deal with it.
    Thanks for the reply AJ. I've been stressing about various things for 6 months, HA of various forms, now concentrated on my heart.

I just don't understand why the pulse wasn't coming down the day before though, and I went to sleep with it and woke up with it. If I get a stressful period in work for example, and I find my heart racing, once I remove myself from the situation it returns to normal - albeit slowly. However the fact the heart racing was prolonged by just some money thoughts makes me think it triggered an episode of afib or another type of serious tachycardia/arrhythmia. I was constantly pulse checking too which didn't help.

For example I've just had a stressful two hours in work with my heart racing, however I can feel it slowing down now - why didn't it do it the day before?

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post

For example I've just had a stressful two hours in work with my heart racing, however I can feel it slowing down now - why didn't it do it the day before?

Just because it didn't...is all.

During my biggest bout of stress I was in A&E overnight on three separate occasions with a heart rate stuck at around 120bpm. No medical reason, just shrugs and 'just stress' comments from the Doctors.

You can's isolate one stressful situation from another, and checking your pulse all the time is a compounding stress too. You're telling your CNS that something is wrong.

Anxiety is more 'big picture'. It's not really a series of stimulus and response situations. Long term stress messes with your hormone responses, especially adrenaline. If adrenaline is present, your heart will beat faster. That's just a basic truth. Deal with the big picture stress and especially the way you respond to stress and it'll improve over time.

The fast heart rate that you experience with anxiety is completely harmless, so the first thing to do is absolutely not start looking up terms like afib/tachycardia and arrhythmia. Again, you're mentally telling yourself something dangerous is happening. The same thing goes with checking your pulse (something I did fanatically for a prolonged period of time). It serves absolutely no purpose other than to trigger another adrenaline spike .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information