Thread: How do I feel better?

How do I feel better?

I've suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember (decades) and convinced this has now turned into depression. I can't cope with anything. Even If I'm not feeling too bad one small criticism from someone or a small setback sends me into despair. Tears, anger and despair that I'll ever feel right or remotely happy with my life. I'm kind of retired (although doing bits and pieces) and at home a lot. Getting bored too but don't have the energy or motivation to do much most of the time.

Haven't seen the doctor for a few years about my mental health and know I should probably go again but what other steps can I take to begin to feel well? I've had counselling as well in the past but not for a few years.

Physically I feel so tired, I'm so negative all the time and just feel like giving up.

Can anyone relate to any of this?

Re: How do I feel better?

Maybe your issue is the boredom. I know you feel a lack of motivation but doing something outside of your home, preferably mixing with other people will make you feel better in small steps and give you a reason a get up and about.

do you have a dog? I'm a great believer in animals and dogs demand walking, even the little ones. Dog walkers are a friendly bunch and in the park they always chat to each other while their dogs play.

do you have any hobbies? Gardening is very therapeutic, fishing, golf (I can't see the joy of golf at all, but it is apparantly quite popular

do stuff in small steps so you don't exhaust yourself but the more you do the more you'll want to do. The more you go out the more you'll want to go and do stuff. Summers coming so make the most of it.

It probably will be of benefit to see your Dr. again, it's what they are there for. But in the meantime, don't give up and no matter how you feel start those baby steps to feeling better.

take care.

Ghost…Spillways

Re: How do I feel better?

Thanks Darksky. I do have a dog and do get out with her. I find that more and more I try to avoid meeting people whilst we are out and do need to try to reverse this. Again with hobbies I seem to be withdrawing a bit. My horizons are closing in I think and do need to do more, gardening could be a good start. Boredom is a factor. Too much time for negative thinking

I think also that I get daunted the amount of work I feel i need to do to get my mind together and get well. Small steps re definitely needed. I'm going to try

Thread Information