Thread: Can stress really cause this much d*?

Can stress really cause this much d*?

So I've more or less been using this site more than anything this month haha.. one month ago exactly I had a row with my dad about money (I live with friends in the city and have been struggling financially). The day after I discovered I had an infection on my nail so I went to the docs as it was pretty severe and they put me on a fairly strong med. I immediately got loose bms* and it got to the point where it was cramping so bad that I HAD to stop. thankfully an oitment cream shifted the infection but I was still having bm* issues. I took an Imodium to calm things down which sent me into a bad constipation for almost a week with the worst hemerroid. Add in a relationship meltdown, a huge exam season and performances I had to do (I GET BAD STAGEFRIGHT) and I realised I was definitely under lots of stress all at once. I ate healthy to clear the constipation but once again I switched to d* ..on and off for 3 weeks now I have had a very bad gut..Ive had to chop milk, coffee, tomatoes, garlic, onion, meats, ANY fast food, sweets..you name it. The only thing my body seems to like is bread and even after eating it along with couscous and crackers, I still go once a day and my bms* burn. 5 days ago it got to the point where Id start to eat proper meals again and my stomach felt weird and sick after 4 bites (maybe because its been so long since I ate 3 meals a day) and this got me into an even bigger panic. However, the last few days I've managed to eat whatever I fancy and still have an appetite but I'm still having horrible painful gas and d*. Every single day. Is this normal?
    I went to the doctors today finally as I am so unbeliveably frustrated, I had something like this from Jan-June last year and when I moved to the city in september, I definitely had a sensitive gut but could tolerate any and everything I cooked/ate (Im talking spicies/fast food/coffees)... the doc told me Im not sick as I had no temperature and that it sounded like a very bad flare. Is this normal?!

Re: Can stress really cause this much d*?

Two things.

Antibiotics (assuming that's what you were given) can play absolute havoc with your digestion. You're basically killing everything in your gut, including the good bacteria. Take a good quality probiotic for a couple of months at least.

Secondly, have you heard the phrase 'stress kills'? So yeah, it can cause severe symptoms. Very severe.

I only had three doses of the antibiotic so realistically after 3 weeks it should surely be out of my system? my doctor said theres no way itd still be in me but perhaps it did mess with my guts...

Ugh. I talk to long-term antibiotic users and all of them say "I just got a bit loose for the first few days" <-- to me its been a NIGHTMARE and I couldnt even finish the damn things back at the start of may :(

Antibiotics aren't 'in your system' or not. You take them, damage is done. They are a necessary evil.

Three doses of AB is huge, and some people can't tolerate them. If I take them for two days it makes me feel like absolute crap. It can cause stomach issues for months. Take probiotics.

that does make me feel better tbh - did you get water d* ? thankfully my upper stomach was very settled during it but my gosh

It doesn't affect me that way, but it obviously does you. How it effects other people doesn't matter, you have to deal with your own symptoms, but I will often get diarrhoea at the start of a course.

Fair enough :( . Trying to just wait it out ... that was my plan until I had to rush again this morning

What antibiotic did you get, if I may ask? That is actually very important. Three + years ago I was given extremely strong, broad spectrum antibiotic that nuked my gut. It is notorious for causing severe intestinal infection called Clostridium Difficile, which the name of bacterium that takes over after antibiotic kills everything good. That is however pretty serious infection, but, if constant D continues, I would definitely, if I were you, ask for the test for it. Good luck, Lana

Flucloaxillin (probably misspell!) ... I did mention it to him and he said "You took 3 doses - theres no way it can be this, its for long term antibiotic use" so that relaxed me however I was still like hmmm...

Things have took some ups and downs - yesterday I had more cramps and slight urge to go but finally went in the night and it was solid and (tmi) smelt "normal". Half of it was still super soft though..Ive also managed to eat quite alot of pasta, tuna and bread today and Ive had no urge or movement so Im not sure whats happening.... hmmm.... maybe a second opinion if it continues

Thread Information